Viewfinders for Nauticam EM-1 System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randallr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm about ready to take my much-loved EM-1 underwater with me, and I'm impressed with Nauticam's setup. But I can't determine whether I should get the viewfinder, and if so, whether the 45 degree or the 180 degree. I can't find any advice on this, either. What experience have you all with different kinds of viewfinders?

By way of background, I've been shooting an XZ-1 in Olympus's own PT-054 housing. I have a prescription mask, bifocal, and never have been able to get a sharp view using the rear LCD - it's too dim, even at the brightest setting, and really seems to sit right at the midway point, where it's too close for my distance lens and too far for my reading lens. Especially for macro, I'd love a sharper view, and to be able to see the shots I'm composing. All guidance welcome!

I use a m1 with a 45 deg viewfinder . I have a bi-focal prescription mask but could not use the Original viewfinder , never used the rear LCD so can't comment on that.
Without a viewfinder i pushed my regulater against the house sometimes hitting the purge button.
It takes a couple of dives to get used to the 45 deg viewfinder but i went that route so i could get lower.
Sometimes its still difficult to find the subjects , pygmy seahorses etc and shooting straight down means your on your head.
Never used a 180 deg so cant comment on that.
That said without it i couldn't shoot underwater i review my images thru the viewfinder i can't Judge a image on the rear lcd.
Used a inon on a ikelite housing and now love the nauticam on the nauticam house.
A thing to think about is to turn the 45 deg viewfinder down when its out of the water so u don't damage the electronic viewfinder of your camera
with the 45 deg viewfinder i think its more vulnerable to damage by sunlight.
Frank

Depends a lot on what you shoot. I have both the 180 and the 45, but I shoot mostly (OK, only) macro and for that I think the 45 can not be beaten. I let a buddy try it though and he went nuts, there is a learning curve.
Bill

yup, that's exactly why I got my EM-5 and the 45d viewfinder. I am mostly macro based photographer. It is handy being able to swivel the viewfinder around if you are in a tough spot. It is still difficult at times for me trying to find the subject even if it is right in front of you but the 45 if great for stuff on the bottom. My previous camer was a canon g11.

Very helpful, and thanks to you all. Let me ask you two other questions:

1. Is the viewfinder removable? That is, if I wanted to shoot wide-angle/blue water straight on, can I take the viewfinder off the camera, or is the attachment permanent?

2. Did you try shooting without the viewfinder, with just the LCD, and if so, what was that like?

Thanks again for all your guidance.

Yes the viewfinder is removable, yes I have tried to shoot with the LCD and it (for me) is not possible.
Bill

One note: You have to change out the viewscreen window to a thicker one to accommodate the viewfinder. It's quite easy, just held in with an oring.
But the standard viewfinder isn't deep enough to fit the new window. So to switch between them you have to switch the windows as well.

Jack

One note: You have to change out the viewscreen window to a thicker one to accommodate the viewfinder. It's quite easy, just held in with an oring.
But the standard viewfinder isn't deep enough to fit the new window. So to switch between them you have to switch the windows as well.

Jack

There is also the option to buy a viewfinder that fits in the thicker hole of the window for the enhanced viewfinder. It costs around $130. It also provides some magnification. It's called: Nauticam Optical Viewfinder 0.66x. Make sure it will fit your housing.

Bob W

Back
Top Bottom