Diopters needed on the Oly EPL-5 w/ 9mm-18mm Wide Angle lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sooke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Still going up the learning curve on the Oly EPL-5. I read a tutorial stating diopters are required on rectilinear wide angle lenses especially when shooting with smaller 4.5 inch domes. I'm using the micro 4/3 9mm-18mm lens with a 4.5 inch Zen dome. The article suggested +2,+3, and +4 diopters. The 9mm-18mm lens focuses very close and quickly in the Zen dome so I'm wondering if the statement is directed to DSLR cameras? All comments will be greatly appreciated.

what housing and dome are you using?

why don't you shoot the 14-42 with the diopter? kinda counterproductive to try to shoot macro with a wide angle.....i may be totally wrong, just trying to get some dialogue going on your post.

Interesting

Yes, it's directed at DSLRs. The 9-18 will focus down to almost touching the port if you stop it down to f/8-9 and be very sharp.

Using diopters is for rectilinear lenses that can't focus that closely and or have weak corners. And there's image quality loss. Sometimes you have to use them, but it's generally a poor choice that only improves the situation.

Go forth and shoot CF/WA, you'll do great with that setup!

Using Oly PT-EP10 housing with the Zen dome WA 100. Shooting wide angle and CFWA. I like the results very much but was curious about the statement in the tutorial.

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2014 at 10:03 PM ----------

Many thanks for your info Jack. Thanks for the camera, lenses, housing, and tray too! Going forward and up the curve :wink:

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2014 at 04:06 AM ----------

The Zen port for the 9-18 is not actually a dome and you don't need any diopters

Interesting comment what is it then sort of another lens?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom