Couple of Issues with 12-50 lens in macro and normal mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi All - I am off to Bali in a few weeks with my new EM5/12-50 kit lens in an Olympus housing.

In messing around with the macro I have found that its ability to focus to infinity is very poor. This is a disappointment as my 50mm macro with my old E-520 could take 1:1 and was a good fast fish lens.

I was planning to set the lens to macro and use it as a 43mm macro lens only or set it 'normal' and use it as a general lens.

The other problem seems to be finding a zoom gear for the 12-50 that is reasonably priced ie $50.
Is there no alternative zoom gear to the European one which is about $150 +shipping?

Try using velcro tape. If you wrap velcro around the zoom ring, the zoom gear in the housing can catch the loops. I've not see this done with the setup you have, but it works for other lens/housings.

I no longer have an E-M5, I have an E-M1, so I don't know if the E-M5 firmware has been updated to include the 'electric zoom' function. The E-M1 does have this function. I believe the latest firmware is V 2.0. Check to see if you can set one of the buttons to 'electric zoom'. If you can, when you press the selected button, the 'up' and 'down' buttons will zoom between 12mm and 50mm, and any mm in between. It eliminates the need for a zoom gear. On the E-M1 the mm setting is displayed in the upper right hand corner of the display. Like I said, I have no way of checking this on the E-M5, but it's easy enough for you to check.

Bob W

Unfortunately the gear on the oly houses is placed at the mount, not out in the lens port. This makes the velcro tip hard to use. And it makes it hard to make a good gear for the 12-50.

Yes you can zoom from 12-50 (and not in between) on the M5 as Bob describes. You cannot switch into macro mode. Macro mode is just that, not meant to focus out. I'd suggest the Oly 60 macro lens, it is a better suited for what you are wanting.

Jack

Yes you can zoom from 12-50 (and not in between) on the M5 as Bob describes. You cannot switch into macro mode. Macro mode is just that, not meant to focus out. I'd suggest the Oly 60 macro lens, it is a better suited for what you are wanting.

Jack

Hi Jack/Bob - Did not know that this worked in the M5, 12mm or 50mm is restricting but better than nothing. Is this lens firmware? I have 2.0 on the camera and 1.2 on the lens. Yes the 60mm is a better option and I have looked at a couple of them but I was hoping that this would be the one lens for dive trips. The 1:1 is essential. Not the greatest UW photographer but do enjoy it.

Why would Olympus put a zoom wheel on the housing then not make a gear for it, strange.

---------- Post added October 19th, 2014 at 06:03 PM ----------

I no longer have an E-M5, I have an E-M1, so I don't know if the E-M5 firmware has been updated to include the 'electric zoom' function. The E-M1 does have this function. I believe the latest firmware is V 2.0. Check to see if you can set one of the buttons to 'electric zoom'. If you can, when you press the selected button, the 'up' and 'down' buttons will zoom between 12mm and 50mm, and any mm in between. It eliminates the need for a zoom gear. On the E-M1 the mm setting is displayed in the upper right hand corner of the display. Like I said, I have no way of checking this on the E-M5, but it's easy enough for you to check.

Bob W
Hi Bob this would do nicely BUT looking at the Olympus site it appears that the Electronic Zoom function as you describe it is NOT available. It is an E-M1 only function at the moment.

Ardy, not sure if your camera has a similar software as my E-PL5, but with the latter, this 12 and 50 mm function is available by assigning it to a specific button through the menu (at a position other than Auto) and with the lense set at E-Zoom. In my case, I assigned it to the movie record button and is available on the M, S, A and P settings. In my viewfinder, it appears as a single fish (50 mm) or three fish (12mm) symbols with the lense electronically zooming to the applicable setting.

A word of caution on the 1 fish/3 fish zoom function. As I remember it, it also changed the aperture and speed settings to some preset values, different at each end of the zoom. I had to use the mode wheel to take it out of manual and back and then change the f-stop and speed to what I wanted. Somewhat of a pain, but at least I could change the zoom. The electric zoom on the E-M1 only changes the focal length and leaves the other settings alone. One of a number of advantages of the E-M1.

Bob W

Seems like the European zoom at 95 euro's + shipping is looking more attractive. What have others here with the EM-5 done? Also has anyone used a 50mm macro with the 4/3rds to M 4/3rds adapter?

What issues were there? Just checked and it doesn't fit damn! Seems sell the 50 macro and buy a 60 macro will help but still doesn't solve zooming with the 12-50. Don't know how I got to this situation, should have stayed with my E-520 and 50mm macro lens and the zoom on the 14-40 lens. That will teach me to assume all will be as I want it to be, at the price I am prepared to pay, for a couple of dive trips a year, complete with macro/fish/ occasional view of reef/wreck snaps.

Seems like the European zoom at 95 euro's + shipping is looking more attractive. What have others here with the EM-5 done? Also has anyone used a 50mm macro with the 4/3rds to M 4/3rds adapter?

What issues were there? Just checked and it doesn't fit damn! Seems sell the 50 macro and buy a 60 macro will help but still doesn't solve zooming with the 12-50. Don't know how I got to this situation, should have stayed with my E-520 and 50mm macro lens and the zoom on the 14-40 lens. That will teach me to assume all will be as I want it to be, at the price I am prepared to pay, for a couple of dive trips a year, complete with macro/fish/ occasional view of reef/wreck snaps.

I bought this gear and was very unimpressed with the shipping costs for a small light item.

Back
Top Bottom