12-50 Oly Lens -- Software Controllable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just a question for someone who also might be a hacker. Is the Only 12-50 lens, the one with the "Macro" setting, hackable? The real question is, could the switch from "normal" to "macro" be done by software as opposed to physically moving the ring?

I know the one person has done a physical hack of the lens but I wonder if it could be done electronically?

I haven't heard of anybody doing this. You may try asking the same question over on Wetpixel though. The mechanism of sliding the ring forward while holding down the button is more complex than just pushing a button. Moreover, if you leave the ring in that position, disconnect the lens from the camera and then reconnect it, it should still be in macro mode. It makes me think there is some sort of hardware interlock.

The focus on all M43 lenses is "by wire" (i.e., you turn the ring, it sends a signal to electronics in the lens that then send a signal to turn the focus motor). The 12-50 does have electronic zoom control. In the underwater mode of cameras like the E-M1 you can use buttons to zoom the lens all the way in or out, but not anywhere in between.

People have also just bought (or 3D printed) aftermarket focus gears, used the lens behind the same port as the 60mm macro (the lenses are close in dimensions) and used a diopter to get that extra magnification for macro shots.

Decided -- I have the Austrian focus ring and have used it with a dropper with success. Just wondering about the possibilities.

In the underwater mode of cameras like the E-M1 you can use buttons to zoom the lens all the way in or out, but not anywhere in between.

Not sure what you mean. I have an E-M10 with the 12-50 MACRO in the expensive Nauticam MACRO port. I can zoom to any intermediate focal length.

Not sure what you mean. I have an E-M10 with the 12-50 MACRO in the expensive Nauticam MACRO port. I can zoom to any intermediate focal length.

I assume you're talking about the fancier port and zoom gear combo for the 12-50 that runs about $800? I was talking about just using the port for the 60mm macro with no focus gear (only about $360), but instead using the electronic control of the zoom (i.e., no zoom gear to turn).

As far as I can tell, the E-M1 just allows me to assign this mode (it looks like a big fish and a little fish) to a custom button. Then when I press said buttorn, it toggles the zoom between the widest and narrowest settings. On the EM-5, it's not possible at all if I recall correctly. Not sure what the story is for the EM-10.

Presumably if custom firmware ever came to these cameras like Magic Lantern, it'd be possible to choose any focal length on this lens. I'm still not sure if the special macro mode on the 12-50 could be activated though.

Personally, I've only used this lens a couple of times behind the 60mm macro port with no zoom control. I wasn't terribly impressed by the images I took. They just don't really pop like with the 8mm fisheye or 60mm macro in my opinion, but it depends a lot on what your photos goals are.

Sent from my using Tapatalk

Sent from my using Tapatalk

You can only zoom between 12 & 50 on the E-M5.

On the E-M1 and newer cameras you can zoom to intermediate stops.

But no there's no way to switch into the macro mode. It's a physical switch.

Jack

Three people have reported to me so far on making the hack, all three succeeded.

it's an electronic switch. The ring movement doesn't mean anything in the mechanical domain. (moving between motor zoom and macro. Between manual zoom and motor zoom it changes the mechanical gear connection).
Pushing the switch and moving the ring just makes a connection, changing state of an input to the lens uC. (given the lens is in motor zoom mode).
That is the fact making my hack possible.

But to make it in software, you probably both need to hack both the lens software and the camera software.

Interesting, needs a software engineer to look at this. Without the Nauticam big spend, the 12-50 is no more than a standard lens like the 14-42 and is of little extra use underwater. Olympus pays little attention to the diving community, too small I guess? Still, a little is better than none.

Interesting, needs a software engineer to look at this. Without the Nauticam big spend, the 12-50 is no more than a standard lens like the 14-42 and is of little extra use underwater. Olympus pays little attention to the diving community, too small I guess? Still, a little is better than none.

Not really - even if you don't have the Nauticam M77 port it is still a viable lens, you can use it as a zoom lens which does a reasonable job or set it to macro mode for when you want to specifically shoot macro so in some ways it is two lenses in one and is good if you are on a budget. Obviously the benefit of this lens is in its versatility but to do this you need to spend the money for the M77 port.

Karl

Not really - even if you don't have the Nauticam M77 port it is still a viable lens, you can use it as a zoom lens which does a reasonable job or set it to macro mode for when you want to specifically shoot macro so in some ways it is two lenses in one and is good if you are on a budget. Obviously the benefit of this lens is in its versatility but to do this you need to spend the money for the M77 port.

Karl

The 12-50 is not a contender with the 60mm macro due to its inadequate focussing when in macro, this limits it as a fish lens. I was hoping it would be versatile lens for most situations that I photograph. On land it is good enough, underwater without the M77, it is either a basic macro or 14-42 equivalent (providing you pay $150 inc shipping for the zoom attachment). Hardly a versatile lens for UW photography.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom