Diopter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff, the guy behind the site you linked, shoots Olympus primarily I believe, so shoot him an e-mail. I took a photo course from him last month and bought an E-PL5 setup on his recommendation. I also just bought one of his swing mounts for M67 lenses. But bought a Reefnet SubSee which has not been wet yet.

The diopter works well with my E-PL3 and the kit lens 14:42

This was taken in the pool on my photo course probably F22 or F16 and 1/125 or 1/160 with the diopter

Same with this, playing with lighting trying this and that.

Diopter is great but I have now got a 60mm as well.

Good site I will probably order the +20
I also like the adaptor!!

Hello I have the e-pm1, I used the Subsee +10, h2o +5, I am fine with both, I have now bought the 60mm great ,diopters with the 14-42mm is an advantage because they allow you to get closer to the subject, which is benefit for macro

I am not sure about the +20
If I were I would test with a +5 and a +10 first. The +20 might require you to get too close.
If you can go to a shop where you can try them out out of the water, not perfect, then you can see how close you get with the various combinations.
I think you can stack diopters so having a +5 and a + 10 you can stack them to get a +15.
I really do recommend testing in the pool or even better take a course.
Have fun

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll go for the 10 and see if thats good enough since I can stack if I need more.

1st of all, look up(& find out) what a diopter REALLY is..........hint----it's a lens unit of power ......As a 38+ year eye doctor, that's one of my pet peeves..:)..ie stick with 'macro lens'

Thanks! Pardon my ignorance. I'll remember that from now on!

1. Definition
    A dioptre, or diopter, is a unit of measurement of the optical power of alens or curved mirror, which is equal to the reciprocal of the focal length measured in metres (that is, 1/metres). It is thus a unit of reciprocal length. For example, a 3-dioptre lens brings parallel rays of light to focus at 1⁄3 metre.

Not really a lot of use for us. For us slightly older readers the following will make sense (from wikipedia)
    They work identically to reading glasses, allowing any primary lens to focus more closely.

So in my case reading glasses have a small magnification effect and allow me to focus on a subject closer than before. Resolving the "it's not my eyes it's just my arms are too short" argument.
    However I cannot get clear focus on anything more that about 1 metre away.

I will use my 60mm macro when my primary aim is to shoot macro.
    I will use the 14:42 and a plus 5 diopter when I don't know what I am going to find.
    I wish it was easier to install the Olympus port, it is really tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom