Santa brought me a new Olympus C-4040 for Christmas!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
He had his big ol' elf, Beast, bring it to me!

I've been thinking about this for a long time. Should I go digital? Can I justify the expense? Get a housing for the Nikon CP880 we already own or go with what I really want? I didn't think Beast had been listening to me babble but he sure surpised me. Maybe he figured that now I'd shut up about it!

Lessee....now I need a housing, a strobe, some more memory cards......

Now the learning curve REALLY begins. Thank you, Santa!

You might have just appointed yourself one of the official Swamp Photographers!

Me, I gotta figure out what I'm gonna do about this lump of coal.

(PS. Can you get some info about the Sea Searcher for a TSDT Flower Gardens trip? I'd like to put one together as soon as possible).

Originally posted by TexasMike
You might have just appointed yourself one of the official Swamp Photographers!

Me, I gotta figure out what I'm gonna do about this lump of coal.

(PS. Can you get some info about the Sea Searcher for a TSDT Flower Gardens trip? I'd like to put one together as soon as possible).

I think I can do that! Wonder what strobe I'll need for swamp water viz??? :D

I'll call the Sea Searcher office next week. I know they book through dive shops, like Rinn does, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Sea Searcher

Hello,

At this point in time and all things considering I would NOT go digital.

Ed

At this point in time and all things considering I would NOT go digital.
[/B]

Okay, Ed, I'll de-lurk and take the bait... why wouldn't you go digital? I bought my SO the Olympus C4040Z and an underwater housing for Christmas, so it isn't like my mind is going to be changed. I'm just curious about your reasoning.

Lessee....now I need a housing, a strobe, some more memory cards......

Dee, I would be interested to find out what strobes you end up with. I couldn't quite manage the 4040 for my SO as well as a housing, but I think that the C3000 has the same case (and takes the same accessories) as the 4040.

I've been away since the early Christmas gift-opening, but a little elf tells me that my SO has been using the camera nonstop... I hope you enjoy yours, too, Dee!

Julie

Hello,

Well most of my photo's are around the 20x30 size and digital just doesn't cut it for this region. Digital resolution is no where near that of film, yet. Another thing is lens/strobe selections. You are limited.

Ed

Ed...all things considered, I'm looking forward to digital. And if you are talking about 20x30 INCH photos, you are mistaken...Several of the pro photographers in Houston are using digitals for portrait work and their large prints are amazing!

Originally posted by blacknet
Hello,

Well most of my photo's are around the 20x30 size and digital just doesn't cut it for this region. Digital resolution is no where near that of film, yet. Another thing is lens/strobe selections. You are limited.

I agree that lsnes/strobes are limited. I did some serious research on this before putting money into a camera to be sure that there was some availability for strobes for the digital cameras, less for lenses it seems. Not a lot, but some....which is OK for now.

20x30 inch photos? I know that digital can handle these, becuase I watched them use digital cameras for amazing poster-sized work when I was in New York City. It depends on what kind of resolution youy feel you need for the final output. Doing some quick math, the 3200x2400 max pixels from the C4040Z would limit you to 106.6 dpi output if you blow the picture up to 30"x22.5". A bit less dpi than I would like, myself. For professional, glossy brochure output, I usually stick to 200dpi, which would limit you to 16"x12".

Still, I would say that for most photographers who aren't planning to look at professional offset printing, 3200x2400 pixels is probably overkill.

Anyhow, happy holidays to all!

Julie

Hello,

Well I go for very very VERY moody photo's. Very rich in shadow detail. Traditional digitals just plain doesn't cut it for that size and detail in the print. In order to get a digital unit that can do this your shelling out alot more $ up front.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom