Affordable underwater digital system? Olympus C5060 + Housing + FL-20 + Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headwerkn

New
Reaction score
After several years lay off I'm finally returning to SCUBA and unsurprisingly want to take my love of photography down below the deep blue with me.

I cannot take my RB67 down below even if I wanted to, nor do I want to risk my soon-to-be-purchased D70 either, so I'm looking for a system based around a decent digital compact. The budget is modest and so are my aims; no magazine spread-worthy shots needed, just good quality ones for friends and the wall.

Some expandiblity would be good... I am a reasonably accomplished photographer and get quickly frustrated when I can't translate the image in my mind into reality. Some kind of flash or strobe setup will be a likely upgrade, as will different lenses/adapters.

I'm willing to throw my affinity with Nikon away to get what I need at a reasonable price.

Based on my current research, the Olympus C5060 Wide is the only camera I've found that meets all this. The camera itself is highly rated and quite affordable, has several nice lens adapters and flash units, and has the obvious advantage of factory made underwater housings to suit them at reasonable prices. A lot of people seem to be using the 50x0 cameras for aquatic use, which is a good sign too.

What else is there on the market? Does anything compare well with (or better) the above? What other strobes can be successfully used with the C5060... I'm sure a single top mounted flash has it's limitations.

I've read a bit on the Aquapix systems which seem reasonably priced if not great specs... any thoughts?

Thanks muchly!

Cheers,
Ben.

I have an Oly C-5050 so I agree that the 5XXX series are good cameras. However, reports have disclosed a design problem with the Oly PT housing for the 5060, namely the pins the WA lens housing attaches to. So if you plan to add a WA lens at some point, I think I would spend the extra for an Ikelite housing for a 5060.

I also agree about the top mounted flashes. Any fixed flash is going to produce alot of backscatter. I can't speak to the power of these flashes but I would avoid them for the simple fact they can't be positioned where you want them. Inon, Sea & Sea and Ikelite all make excellent external strobes in the same $500-650 price range.

For your requirements, I think the Oly C-5060 with an Ikelite housing would suit you. I don't know anything about Aquapix.

Thanks so much for your help... the Ikelite housing looks great but I think initially it will be a budget breaker :-( Fortunately it doesn't appear to be much of a problem to get a useable base+arm setup happening with the Oly housing. I checked out your photo album and the results you're getting are very impressive with similar equipment!

Thanks again!

headwerkn:
Thanks so much for your help... the Ikelite housing looks great but I think initially it will be a budget breaker :-(

Thanks again!

Headwerkn,

Just my 2 cents but I would really urge you to reconsider. Yes, the Ikelite housing is a bit more expensive but I have a feeling that in the long run, it may be less expensive. Many people I know who started out with the Oly housing, later decide to get the Ikelite housing. I have a 5050 in an Ikelite housing. If you go to my web site (link in signature, I have a section called "Resources for Photographers" (link on the left hand side). This page includes a lot of tutorials on the 5050 and 5060. There is also a comparison of the two cameras. I hope this provides some useful information.

SwimsWithSharks:
Headwerkn,

Just my 2 cents but I would really urge you to reconsider. Yes, the Ikelite housing is a bit more expensive but I have a feeling that in the long run, it may be less expensive. Many people I know who started out with the Oly housing, later decide to get the Ikelite housing.

I'll be in that boat shortly, my Oly housing flooded on its first weekend UW... same cause as several other reported floodings(Oring on bottomleft dislodged itself)... I'll have an Ike housing before my camera gets back from Oly with any luck.

headwerkn:
Thanks so much for your help... the Ikelite housing looks great but I think initially it will be a budget breaker :-( Fortunately it doesn't appear to be much of a problem to get a useable base+arm setup happening with the Oly housing. I checked out your photo album and the results you're getting are very impressive with similar equipment!

Thanks again!

I understand, the price difference was one of the main reasons I started out with the PT housings and so far I've been completely satisfied with the PT-10 and PT-15. They do have their weak spots, though. If I don't get the camera perfectly seated in the PT-15, it will torque the mode dial shaft cause seepage and some of the other buttons won't work properly. Just as with the PT20 and it's pin problem, you have to be really careful when setting them up for use. One thing about the Ikelite is it's just about bulletproof! If something ever happens to my PT-15, I'll bite the bullet and go Ikelite and just deal with the overall size.

You have several options for stroe arms and trays with the PT housings. Fisheye and ULCS just to name two.

i've had the 5060 for six months, it works well, pictures are sweet, underwater housing top notch, if you buy a nikon you're a mug!! Enjoy:)

I agree with Dee on the Ikelite housing - wish I'd gone that route myself , but I have already invested too much in the PT-020 and accessories . Also you can get hard wired TTL with the Ike housing , unlike me who had to get a third party solution (which works very well ) .

Safe Diving

Andrew

Just seen that you also ask about the FL-20 . I have one and the PFL-01 housing - the TTL is OK , but the flash coverage is only good for macro and close up stuff.

Safe Diving

Andrew

I started with the pt20 but decided to immediately upgrade to the Ikelite. It is tougher and more reliable. It also adds the advantages of full ttl with your flash. I would forego a strobe to get the housing. You can add a strobe later. The Oly strobe would be a waste of money IMHO. You will find better strobes that are not that much more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom