Checkout dives, here I come!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FreeFloat

Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere in the waters of Lake Ontario or the St
# of dives
200 - 499
I beat it, I did it, I got through Stress Time!

I've told my local buddies about how our Scuba Instructor here uses the last pool time of the scuba course as a sort of review of certain basic skills - mask remove/replace, reg recover (two methods), checking that your tank first-stage valve is fully open, etc. He has the students kneel in a circle on the bottom of the pool then he and the DM swim around the students, removing a mask here, removing a reg there, and watching to see the students "fix the problem". He calls this session "Stress Time".

Some of you may have seen another of my posts relating the last time I went through the Stress Time. I made it about halfway through, then on one particular drill, with both mask and reg removed, I replaced the reg and kept getting mouthfuls of water, which kicked me into a panic and I headed for the surface with the DM right beside me. "Emergency panicked ascent" was NOT one of the drills.

Well, last night's pool session started out about the same as I recalled my original last pool session - a few diver rescue drills, both "panicked diver on surface" and "unconscious diver underwater". Then we practiced turning our air on (first stage valve) then went to the deep end of the pool. The instructor said just to "play around" for a while until he got our attention and put us in the kneeling-on-the-bottom circle.

Stress Time also started out as I remembered it from last time - with the instructor and his DM starting with the basics - removing the mask and watching the students put them back on. Most of the time they didn't remove the mask completely, left it on the student's head so they could find it. Despite wearing my new low-volume mask, it still takes me two breaths to clear it - I know I have to work on it, but for the class it was all right, as long as I could clear it. Then they moved to removing regulators, and from there to removing regulators AND masks, sometimes at once, sometimes in close timing. At one point someone had just removed my mask, I had just found it and started clearing it, and they stole my reg (and tucked it behind my first stage). I abandoned clearing the mask (left it half-on) and got my reg back first, then calmly proceeded to finish clearing my mask. Just as I was getting done that my reg stopped giving me air. (and someone stole my mask again too). I reached back to turn on my air, but for some reason I spit out the reg to do so, turned on the air, recovered my reg, purged it, and started to try breathing it. Déja vu - the reg seemed to be delivering me equal portions of water and air. I tried taking low and slow breaths like I had practiced with the snorkel (to get accustomed to "breathing wet"), but it didn't seem to help. I was starting to choke when I signalled the DM "out of air" (nice big clear signal, too!). He reached forward, depressed and held the purge button, and we headed slowly to the surface.

About halfway up I had an epiphany - or as I like to say, "the light suddenly went on."

I had been inhaling through both my mouth and my nose!! Without my mask on! No wonder I was taking on water!!!

So I surfaced, nice and slow, with the DM, and started cussing a blue streak. At that point I thought I had "blown it" again. He told me, "Relax, you did just fine. Ready to go back down?"

Sweeter words were never spoken.

I went back down. This time I held my nose with my right hand to prevent me from using it, (since when I had done so before I hadn't even realized it, or felt the water gushing through). When I figured I was getting close to the bottom I reached for it with my clasped hands and came to a gentle touch down. I resumed my former position in the circle beside the diver in pink fins (thank goodness everyone wasn't wearing all black). I couldn't find my mask, but someone (instructor or DM, not sure) pointed it out to me and by sweeping the bottom I eventually found it, replaced it, and cleared it, taking only 1-1/2 breaths this time.

The DM was going around shaking everyone's hand - he shook mine too - followed by the instructor. When he got to me, he gave me another of his patented scrutinizing looks, then pointed back and forth between us - saying "you and me". Then he promptly stole my mask and reg. I recovered and replaced both, half anticipating him shutting off my air next, but instead he just put out his hand and shook mine!

I felt like laughing! If I hadn't had a reg in my mouth I would've been wearing an ear-to-ear grin (except then I definitely would've had to clear my mask again).

Outside the pool, during the debrief, the instructor told us how impressed he was with all of us, and that he would be happy to take each and every one of us to Open Water (scheduled for this weekend).

As an aside to me, he also said that he can't recall the last time he saw someone so determined!

Yahoo! I can hardly wait!!!!!

Just curious, what is the training agency of your course? ie PADI NAUI etc.

Sounds as though you had your share of challenges but you seem to have overcome them. Well done. Hope your open waters go well and that you have a long and happy "career" diving. Have fun. Stay safe.

Although the instructor is also TDI certified I believe.

Yes, the instructor shut off the students' air - but not the DM nor any student, EVER, even if they wanted to do drills with each other (ie practice mask clearing, etc). As well there are certain drills (buoyant ascents being one) that hte instructor insists can only be performed when he is "within arm's length" of a student. Also any air-shutting-off is done with the utmost in control and preparation before getting to the "stress time" phase.

Tom R once bubbled...
Is it just me or is Freefloat stating that the instructor and/or divemaster shut off the student's air. I know that PADI and PDIC forbid this.

That's an interesting point. Far be it from me to get anyone in any kind of trouble. I'm starting to feel a little concerned about posting my story here now.

Besides the point, I feel it was very valuable if nothing else but a confidence-builder, for the student to know that he/she can reach their first stage and find their hoses and valve handles. Even Vertically Challenged students like me (short torso length doesn't BEGIN to describe me) wearing AL80s.

Freefloat,
You sound very well prepared for your open water and those stories bring back fond memories in the Queen's pool going through the same stress tests with Lloyd Shales and crew who taught through NAUI. I think Lloyd was one of the first NAUI instructors in Canada. How many of you remember Lloyd Shale's Hobby Shop where you could buy a model airplane or a set of Jetfins?

I recall our open waters were done in November during snow squalls in front of the Kingston Marine museum. All those drills which you practiced came in very handy for my first dive right off the museum in three foot vis as I swam into the guy in front of me and had my mask promptly kicked off. Other than the shock of the cold water, the memory circuits kicked in and I just cleared the mask as we learned in the pool. My air kept flowing this time though :)

Where do you do your open water dives now?

Have fun doing your open dives this weekend and welcome to the sport.

FreeFloat once bubbled...

That's an interesting point. Far be it from me to get anyone in any kind of trouble. I'm starting to feel a little concerned about posting my story here now.

Besides the point, I feel it was very valuable if nothing else but a confidence-builder, for the student to know that he/she can reach their first stage and find their hoses and valve handles. Even Vertically Challenged students like me (short torso length doesn't BEGIN to describe me) wearing AL80s.

First off congratulations!!!

Don't feel concerned.......No trouble!! Every one teaches differently.
Anyone here in Kingston knows who your instructor is anyhow....
The professional dive community is small :D
I can tell by your story it gave you great confidence and your very proud of your accomplishment. That ='s a good course.

As for being "Vertically Challenged" try a AL63 my wife is small too, and she will only use 63's and being a freediver your likely very good on air, so a 63 will last you as long as most on a 80

Even Vertically Challenged students like me (short torso length doesn't BEGIN to describe me) wearing AL80s.

That's why I use steel HP 80s: they are the same size as an AL 63, but have air to spare AND are always negative.

It's my firm belief that you can NEVER have "too much air". :thumb:

DSDO,

Well, I did air shutoff/EBA drills during my OW pool sessions (summer 2002), too - lots of them (many self-inflicted ones for practice followed by one with the instructor shutting of the valves. I can't remember if we did one in the OW portion too. These weren't "sneaky" shutoffs by any means. Then again, this wasn't PADI or PDIC - it was SSI.

Free-Float: glad to hear you will be staying down a bit longer on our future dives, now that you've seen the benefits of taking an air supply with you :D

Back
Top Bottom