Missing Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver gadget

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anybody heard anything about the missing diver in Tobermory?? All I have heard is that a diver from the Kitchner area is missing and presumed dead. He was on a charter and went missing on a dive, I also heard that his buddy is in Hostipal. I am not sure if everything I said is true so if you know something different please let me know.

Apparently the diver was diving the Forest City in Toby. That is all I have found out. They have annoced his name as Scott D... I was unable to understand the anouncer on the last name. I will keep posted any info I find.

I am also wanting to know what exactly happened and what shop he was with. I was diving up there when it happened on another wreck and heard from the dive shop when we returned for air what had happened. At that point, the one diver was 1/2 an hour late from surfacing and two divers that had stayed down looking for him were in bad shape (or at least that is what they were saying at the time. Other than that we were not able to find out anything.

TOBERMORY -- A 33-year-old Kitchener man is missing in Georgian Bay after he and eight others went diving to study a shipwreck near Tobermory on Sunday.

Scott Jamieson was diving near the wreck on the northeast side of Bear's Rump Island in Fathom Five National Marine Park.

Const. Dave Meyer of Bruce Peninsula OPP said he went missing at about 3 p.m. Meyer said the man was deep-water diving with the other eight divers, some of them from Waterloo Region.

When he didn't return to the surface, the operator of the dive boat called for help. Wardens from Bruce Peninsula National Park rushed to the scene.

Jamieson's dive partner, a 38-year-old Kitchener woman, was taken ashore and treated by paramedics, but police gave no details of her injuries.

For those who wish to know:

the Forest City is a wreck that went down in the fog in 1904. the bow sits in 60' of water and the rest of the wreck is 120-150 ft. The water is cold and it can be a demanding dive. It is considered an advanced/technical dive.

I believe that there have been other fatalities on this wreck.

Also from the Kitchner Paper
Dave Sheppard, Jamieson's landlord on Wellington Street, said Jamieson had just recently earned his licence for deep-water diving and had been looking forward to putting it to use.

If this guy had just recently got his AOW, what was he doing on a wreck that has a bottem of 150 ft.?? Something still seems weird. Before the dive shops up there will let you dive the Forest City or the Ariabia, they have a good look at your log book to make sure you have at least 10 dives of similar depth and temp. Maybe this guy did have some more experience than the newspaper article says. I am hope we will find out more in the next few days.

I just found this on another message board and thought ya'll would be interested...

missing diver

I did that dive in the early 1990s. It's counted among my best dives ever. It's also a highly advanced dive if one goes down to the deeper and darker regions, much more demanding than the more infamous Arabia. Very dark and very cold down near the stern. A lovely wreck all in all but not at all surprising that folks have been lost there.

I'm most sorry to hear about Scott. My prayers for his safe passage.

Tom

I wasn't in Tobermory this weekend, but the few details I've heard about this accident, including those from a local paramedic, suggest it was a classic "task loading" situation... one thing (low air) lead to a series of increasingly unmanageable events. What is perhaps most surprising is that this didn't end up being a double fatality... thankfully. I don't know the level of experience, but it sounds like an advanced OW was recently finished. Does anyone know anything about this fellow's diving history?

Has he been recovered yet? I understand that the OPP were/are searching with a ROV as the depth is beyond their operational limit. The site will presumably be closed until he is located and recovered. Consdering thae storms that went through up there on the weekend, the current at the site would likely have been quite strong, so it might be a long search...

Stoo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom