Water Temps and Wetsuit Thickness for 1000 islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RussR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am traveling to the 1000 islands area this coming weekend and was wondering what the water temps were (both surface and at depth) and what wetsuit thickness was in the majority.

Also is Nitrox suitable for the wrecks?

We are diving from Mallorytown.

I was thinking of trying to get away with a 5mm

Thanks

Russ

RussR:
Hi,

I am traveling to the 1000 islands area this coming weekend and was wondering what the water temps were (both surface and at depth) and what wetsuit thickness was in the majority.

Also is Nitrox suitable for the wrecks?

We are diving from Mallorytown.

I was thinking of trying to get away with a 5mm

Thanks

Russ

last month I was diving around clayton/alexandria bay with a 3mil 1 piece as my dry suit wrist seal let go.. I was fine for about 1 hour per dive before I started to feel it.. At 1:30 I was chilled...

The watere temps should be warmer now (they were 67 last month)..

As of yesterday water temperature was 67F in and around Rockport. It was warmer by a few degrees in slower moving water. We have had some cold nights recently and that has caused the temperature drop.

I used my 5mm suit with no problems.

RussR:
I am traveling to the 1000 islands area this coming weekend and was wondering what the water temps were (both surface and at depth) and what wetsuit thickness was in the majority. Also is Nitrox suitable for the wrecks?

I think your 5mil will be more than adequate! In early July the water temps were a consistant 64F. It is warmer there now, and you are hearing 72 from people. But you will also see people in Arctic Dry Suits, with doubles, doing 1hr dives at the same place you see me in a 3mil shorty, for 35 mins on a wreck at 60':D

The unique thing about diving the St Lawrence river (in that area) is that the water temps are the same at depth. No thermoclines. You are basically swimming in the top layer of water as it flows out of Lake Ontario. I've been to 130' with no change in temp whatsoever. The price you pay for this is a significant current to deal with, and lots of crap in the water floating by all the time!

I use bare foot fins, no hood or gloves and a 5 or 3 mil suit in 1000 Islands all the time, with no problem at all. You will see everything else there though! To each his own.

As for nitrox, thats up to you. If you are doing the "sport depth" wrecks, and drift dives out of Rockport or Brockville you can easily get in 3x dives or more in a day, and lots of wrecks and other sites at 100' or less.

Hope this helps. Are you using a charter operation in the area?

RussR:
We are diving with Thousand islands Pleasure Diving (www.islanddiver.ca)

I am going with the 5 mm - the local dive shop rents suits if i get too cold on day 1

i dont know what the schedule is for the weekend - I will cgheck that and then decide on the nitrox

If you don't plan on going deep deep... eg. 120 / 130 feet... EANx32 is good... :D

Thousand Islands Pleasure Divers are a top notch operation: every time I've dived with them I've been happy. Say hi to Wayne.

You'll have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom