Padi Open Water Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eagleray2003

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why course costs vary so much for the same course in the same city between dive shops? We are shopping around for a shop where my friend can take a course and have found pricing from as low as $99.00 complete to as high as $500. I assume most shops costs are pretty close to being the same, I wonder how 1 shop can charge only for course materials and cert fees and others are much higher? We are not shopping on price alone but on the whole package of what the shop has to offer, strangley the shop with the lowest cost is also the shop that impressed us the most.

The same reason cars cost differently at different dealers. I don't know why people think there is something strange and wonderous about anything scuba. Its the same business as anything else. Plumbers do it, shoe stores do it.

Some include equipment or remote cert dives, some don't. Some make their profit on equipment sales and cut their instruction costs to get people in. Six of one/half dozen of another.

FWIW, I would seriously wonder about a "complete" course for $99.

MD

I wouldn't worry about the price. Look at the quality. I will tell you that I didn't pay a lot for my dive course either but the instruction I got was excellent. I would not have taken courses anywhere else. In fact, I am going to continue to take my courses with the same dive shop. I believe the low prices are to bring you into the store. Get to know your dive shop owner and istructor so you trust them and buy from them. Hey it works and well I honestly feel better buying from them.

Fish

:)

I know some stores run the Open Water course really cheap (at a loss) to get more folks in the store.. I picked my LDS by talking to other vertified divers.. Cost was a secondary choice.. I'd rather pay a premium and get a good instructor and training than a quicky course...I want to know that I am safe diver in the end.
Also, try to find out how many of their open water student actually become regular divers, and how many fade into the "I dive twice a year on vacation background".

As fish_bowl said "I wouldn't worry about the price. Look at the quality. " Find out about the instructor who would be teaching the course -- like for any service, you can and should ask for references.

As for the difference in cost. As MechDiver mentioned find out what is "really" included in the cost of the course. Here's what I've noticed, some quote a price that is:
  • for the lectures
  • for the lectures and text books
  • for the lectures, text books and confined water
  • for the lectures, text books, confined water, and open water
  • for the lectures, text books, confined water, open water and equipment

As everyone has said above find out what is included and what is not.

Does it include:

use of tanks, BC and regs for pool use and check out weekend?
rental wetsuit for check out weekend?
classroom fee
certification card fee
log book
text book
dive tables
pool fee
classroom and pool instructor fee
exam fee
checkout fee
air fills during the course
extra pool time if required

is the price different on skin gear (mask, fins, snorkel, weight belt and weight) if you are taking the course at the LDS?

Have you considered a dive club as an alternative to a LDS?

everyone has offered great advise, I'd be skeptical of a $99.00 OW course, there has to be some hidden fees. The only thing I would add is to see how long the dive shop has been in business. My favorite dive shop has been around for a long time, they have a great staff and the instruction was top notch. I tried taking a class from another dive shop in the area, I had a gut feeling that something was wrong with their business practices, but took the class anyway Needless to say I did not go back there again. Just before they closed their doors they were offering all sorts of scuba "deals" I don't know how many people lost money but it's something to watch out for.

We train about 2000 divers each year. That's 10 times the average dive shop in Canada. I hear all the above comments on a daily basis and so far I'm pretty impressed with the fairness of the comments made on this thread thus far.

The difficulty is that you all know what's involved in becoming a diver while people that call making inquiries about becoming a diver do not. They are therefore at the complete mercy of the store owner or club trainer. They have no idea what they need to complete the certification process; they have no idea what equipment they should or should not buy; they have no idea of the costs of diving after the training portion is completed.

We have built an enviable scuba business and are proud that we are completely up front about the costs, options, requirements and any other information the prospective new diver ought to know to make an informed decision.

Regardless of the course 'fee', the ultimate cost to the new diver doesn't vary much. If the course is $99, it simply means that the additional costs are added later. The PADI student kit alone retails for $75 so obviously you don't get that in the $99 course. A $99 course will certainly (as most courses do!) require you to purchase a personal gear set (mask, snorkel, fins, boots and likely a weight belt too) which will cost $300 to $400. I'm sure that's not mentioned in the "Learn to Scuba Dive for $99" advertisement. For $99 you're not going to get much of an open water experience.

We've set a standard for several years now that has worked well for us in spite of numerous and persistant attempts to undermine our efforts. Our course fee of $375 includes everything! It's that simple.
We do offer a group rate and we do offer limited time specials but the concept never changes - the course fee includes everything you need to complete the training course. As we say, "There's nothing else to buy".
Let me be clear. The fee includes the class and pool training (the PADI modular course), the entire PADI student kit (Text, tables, log book, ++), the use of all equipment and even lunch throughout the weekend.
There is no component in that fee towards the cost of open water diving. The new divers are told that as we explain the options and costs of O/W training. They know they will need to pay for those expenses. We do not include anything for O/W because a large number of our divers complete their O/W dives by referral while travelling. It would not be fair to have a charge built into the course fee for diving they do not do with us. On the other hand, if they do the dives with us there is no fee charged. They simply pay their share of the cost of completing the O/W dives.

So why do we get so many students at our fee when others offer courses for less than 1/2?
Once explained, new divers can see that our course does NOT cost more - the fee is higher because all the essentials are included. In many cases, it turns out that taking our course ultimately costs less that at a store with a 'low fee'.
One definite reason is our reputation - our course is worth more.
We are often chosen simply because we are up front.
We offer a money-back guarantee. If you are not successful, we refund your money. No one else does that!
We give many, many extras - Dive Team membership which offers discounts, free pool practice time, specials, etc.
Our courses are clearly quality - no class has more than 8 students; there's an instructor for every 4 students; free make-up or extra classes; several quality control surveys; an extremely motivated, experienced and friendly leadership team; etc.
The new divers like the idea of options - they have options on the format (weekend, weeknight, daytime, home study, etc), options on the O/W dive format, options on equipment use and so on.

There may be other approaches that work well too but our courses run every weekend and often they are filled well in advance (we typically have 3 and sometimes 4 classes of eight every weekend) so I'm not about to make any changes.

I have been part of stores that have low course fees with hidden costs to make up the difference. It was no fun to work there, no fun for the students and no way to try to build a business.

BTW sparky what's wrong with divers who only make a few dives a year at the cottage or on their week-long trip to the south? Lots of divers enjoy scuba diving without falling head-over-heels. They still deserve a quality training program and great service. We get hundreds of new divers who want to take the course just so they can dive on their annual timeshare trip. I don't understand how that has any relationship to the 'quality ' of the scuba school!

Seahunter, that seems to be a decent price that you charge. Mine was a bit less expensive, but then we supplied our own lunches and log books. All equipment was included as well as course material...absolutely NO HIDDEN CHARGES. 8 in our class, 2 instructors, it was a beautiful thing.:D
Randy...

Hi Guys,

As I mentioned earlier, our class was not that expensive. We did have to purchase our fins, mask, snorkle and boots but they were not 300 to 400. I think I ended up spending about 150. But I want to continue diving and I have allready started to purchase all of my own gear so I did not think anything of it. As for quality, I feel that our class was small. We only had 8 students with one instructor and two dive masters in training. The thing I like about our course is that our open water is included and we can do that when the time is right for us. We also will be supplied all of the gear that we will need for our four open water classes. Also, if we did not feel that we had enough training our instructor was willing to have an extra class with us. I don't feel that just because a school has a cheaper price that they are being shifty about things. I again think you have to do research into the dive school. The nice thing about the store here is that he does about one class a month which makes it really personal.

Fish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom