Air Quality Certificate

I am aware of biannual CSA testing required for air fill stations?

• And always ask to see a certificate every 6 months

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Sometimes ask

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Never ask

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • What is an air certificate?

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pufferfish

Contributor
Reaction score
I am curious how many Ontario divers know what an air certificate is and whether they ask to see it prior to getting a fill from a local dive shop?

Did you learn about this in your open water training?

I guess it's a matter of trust...I always get good air at my LDS....and always will. His reputaion depends on it. If on the other hand, I was on a trip and had to use another fill station, I'd probably ask about it.
Randy...

Perhaps it should be made law to display in public their certification. In the same manor as a business is required to display their Ontario Vendor's Permit.

Or is it already?

Why?..I guess I just figured most dive shop owners dove, or had staff/family that dives. I would highly doubt that they would get their air elsewhere, and based on the cost of compressors,I just assumed they wouldn't have a separate one for themselves.

Perhaps ignorant of me ...but.....

More laws are definately the answer!
While we're at it let's make it a law for divers to have an annual diver re-certification. A mandatory 3 hour skill review and written evaluation for a small fee ($35?) before the diver can purchase air or go diving in a public place. It would not be a criminal offence to be caught without your rec-cert - just a summary offence with a fine or confiscation of your diver cert for repeat offenders.

Think this is a joke?

This poll originated with a thread about the water conditions in Tobermory. Follow the thread and you'll see the statement that air quality is NOT a factor in diver fatalities.
Invariably the reason for diving accidents is diver screw-up!
And the LDS gets blamed.

Yeah! There otta' be a law.

On a serious note, I think your poll question is misleading since you've not allowed for the many dive stores that do display their certificate of Pure Air. Many do including the PADI 5 Star Facilities by PADI requirement.

Hence, no diver visiting those stores would ask. They don't have to.
Most votes which indicate they 'don't ask' fall into this category and many from the other two categories would do so as well.
We often get asked if or when our air is tested and the answer is always the same ... "Our current certificate is on the wall above the fill station.".

The original Toby post started with a question about the dive charters, if they were goiong to be running post the accident two years ago.

I also posted the info re the Eddy vis requirements from the Toby fill station.

How in denigrated to the co question is beyond me. Also don't forget the thread regarding the Chicago firefighters' air pacs etc....all these things seemed to roll into one lively discussion.

It is apparant to me that there is a varied opinion on the whole issue.

Mine is posted above...say no more..

Seahunter when has a poll not been misleading:D

I would like to keep answers brief here but why not a law that would require all fill stations (BSAC and SCUBA) to post quarterly air quality certificates from an accredited lab on the wall visible to all customers.

This would satisfy my beefs with the current system which ranges from no testing to quarterly testing. You are already in compliance and have been for some time it appears so would you support such a law. Yes or no?

seahunter once bubbled...
More laws are definately the answer!
While we're at it let's make it a law for divers to have an annual diver re-certification. A mandatory 3 hour skill review and written evaluation for a small fee ($35?) before the diver can purchase air or go diving in a public place. It would not be a criminal offence to be caught without your rec-cert - just a summary offence with a fine or confiscation of your diver cert for repeat offenders.

Think this is a joke?

This poll originated with a thread about the water conditions in Tobermory. Follow the thread and you'll see the statement that air quality is NOT a factor in diver fatalities.
Invariably the reason for diving accidents is diver screw-up!
And the LDS gets blamed.

If people only knew how other hobbies have regulations and certifications every year, I'm sure they be amazed.

My other passion in life other than Scuba Diving is Umpiring Baseball. I am currently carded in a number of Leagues; American Legion, OBA and also CIAU (university baseball). Each of these organizations require me to attend a clinic every year, go through a 'on the field' and 'behind the plate' evaluation and pass a written exam and obtain a minimum 85% on both evaluations and exam before I get my card and insurance for that year.

I do it not only because it is required but it also makes me a better umpire and gives me a chance to learn any new rules and also any changes to the coverage systems that we use.

No, Seahunter, I don't think it is a joke, it think you have raised a valid point.

NO MORE LAWS!!
Let me repeat...
NO MORE LAWS!!

They cost me and you money!
They don't stop criminals!
They do hinder the honest efforts of lawabiding people!
They give stupid/naive people a false sense of security!
They give politicians and police power!

Do they have any positive affect at all? Not in my book.

The best law and the most suitable for scuba diving is the Law of Self-Preservation. Check for a pure air certificate. If it's not there or not available, go to a different store and tell all your friends to do the same.
Much more effective than any damn law is the Landlord Act which will prevail when the store owner can't pay the rent. It works. Ask the owners of the 4 dive stores that have closed in Ontario this year already.

If you patronize a store that does not post an air certificate, you're part of the problem and no law will rectify that problem. No law can protect stupid people from hurting themselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom