Looking for GTA shore dive sites within 1 hour's drive of Hwy. 400 / 401

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi There

Just thought I'd post a message seeking your suggestions for GTA shore dive sites suitable for dive training. I have afew ideas and am intouch with some of my fellow GTA divers, but I welcome your thoughts.

I have the following criteria:

- within approximately 1 hours drive time from the intersection of hwy. 400 / 401.

- no more than say 60 fsw; 30 to 40 fsw would be preferable

- generally decent visibility (ie 20 feet or better)

- no or light current

- no heavy polution (not next to sewage or industry outflows pipes)

Please provide as best a description of the dive site (and its specific location) as you have time for.

I'd also welcome reference to any websites or other information sources.

Thanks for your help.

Safe diving.

Regards

Julian

It's an old gravel pit/quarry which is closed to the general public.

It's a private lake now, and for $5 they'll let you in to scuba dive. There's no fishing allowed, which means all the fish are quite friendly and curious, and there's very little chance of monofilament snags.

Maximum depth is about 25 feet. Easy shoreline entry, with picnic tables and a change room/outhouse facilities. I believe they have camping facilities as well.

Vis gets a little shaky, I'm told, later in the year as it heats up. When I was in Wednesday with Groundhog246 and his lovely wife, the temperature was approximateyl 65 degrees F and visibility was 15-20 feet.

There is a platform at the 15 foot level at the one corner, along with some hula hoops suspended to practice bouyancy and stuff like that. Not really a challenge, but a fun 'puddle dive' and good opportunity to work on skills, etc.

It's in Flamborough, near African Lion Safari. From Toronto, take the 403 to Hwy 6, go North on 6, left on Safari Road. Gullivers is on the left hand side - if you get to Brock Road you've gone just a bit too far.

Jacksons Point and Big Bay Point are both an hours drive from 401 &400. Jacksons point has some interesting historical aspects while Big Bay Point is good for practise dives.Vis is not bad now with zebra mussells helping to clear up the water.

Boogie:
interesting item about Gullivers Lake. I've heard about it over the years, but never knew where it was. Thanks for the directions. Is it open to the public (like Innerkip)? or do you have to make arrangements ahead of time?

Sounds like it could be worth a drive over for a dip.

(Except fishermen of course - that would be funny, to show up with a bass boat and see what they say.)

Anyway - I'd recommend calling them - I know we just paid out $$ and went in with no reservations or anything.

(905) 659-7300

Regarding Gullivers

Open to any certified diver. Admission fee is $5. There's an electric gate. If no one around use the intercom on the gate control box.
Gulliver's Lake is primarily a privately owned trailer park with an abandoned gravel quarry now flooded. The trailer lots are not visible from the lake. The owners allow diving, they don't promote it. There is no gear, air, or emergency equipment on site, so take your own. You must park in the parking lot (you can stop and unload your gear beside the lake), although if a group they will often allow a "safety vehicle" to remain by the lake. They are NOT tolerant of rule breaking, litter or poor behavior. A couple of divers causing trouble, cold close the lake to all.
There are actually 2 platforms, both along the East side. Entry by the platforms is a fairly steep slope. Entry at the SE corner is a much easier entry (gentle slope, probably where truck used to enter/leave), there are picnic tables and washrooms (outhouses, but well kept by outhouse standards) right at the corner and you're closer to the parking lot.
One last caution, the mosquito's come out in drives about 15 minutes before dark. Leave earlier or come equipped with repellant. Unless you make prior arrangements, the close at dark.

If anyone's looking for a midweek dive, I think we will be there this Wed (June 4), probably around 6:00pm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom