St. Lawrence River temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
St. Lawrence River temperature

Many times I search to find the current water temperature of the St. Lawrence as NOAA does not monitor the temp anymore. Some threads mention the temp, but it can be a lot of searching on various sites.

NDBC - Station ABAN6

So maybe this tread can be kept updated with current conditions - on different river locations. Some local dive shops (Mallorytown, Syracuse and Ottawa) sometimes have the temps.

Yesterday at the Islander (Alexandria Bay, NY) the temp was 57/58 and the visibility was about 20 feet.

Saturday, June 18 @ Prescott & Cardinal = 61 F and +/- 20 feet viz

Not sure if there's been a re-org at NOAA, or if it's a different department, or what, but there are still some temperature sensors out there. The closest is at Alexandria Bay and shows it up to 61F today. (Haven't tracked down yet any details like the depth of the sensor.)

Complete list of sensor stations, not all of which include water temperature.

NOAA has always recorded surface temp as far as I know. There is no thermocline in the St Lawrence river anyway, but usually around now, the bottom temp is 2 or 3 degrees cooler than the surface temp. By mid season, it is about the same or within about a degree difference.

It seems quite cool still this year, but last year at this time it kept warming up a couple of degrees each week, so let's hope it warms up soon...

Simple weather report: ITS WARM

It seems quite cool still this year, but last year at this time it kept warming up a couple of degrees each week, so let's hope it warms up soon...

The water level is about 3-4 feet higher, so it might explain why the water is cooler than previous years.

Water level in the Rockport to Brockville corridor is a little higher than normal for this time of year -- but not enough to make any of the dive sites "deeper" -- and water temps during the June 18 - 19 weekend were around 14 C

63F at the Rothesay yesterday Mon Jun 20, although I think my computer tends to read a degree or two warm. Possibly a couple of degrees difference between surface water at the shore and the wreck. Vis maybe 10-15 feet. Less where the bottom had been stirred up, such as close to shore, as there was initially little current to sweep things away.

Hello Mr Doppler. Will we have the honour of your presence in Brockville during the July long weekend? You have trained so many of my friends...

Does anyone know why the river has become so silty over the last 5 years or so? It used to be so clear with at least 50 - 100 feet visibility regularly, especially on the U.S. side. The last few years, it's gotten progressively siltier.

For example, I remember being able to see (7 and 8 years ago) almost the length of the Keystorm clearly and now you can just see maybe 30 feet if that on most days. We could look inside without a light and see the entire open space. Now, even with a light, you can barely see into the Keystorm. Well, it keeps us on the outside of the wreck for the most part. You could see the America clearly from a distance, and now you just follow the chain almost blindly until you get to it. Why so much silt lately?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom