Big Bay Point, Innisfail, Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Red

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Buffalo, NY formerly from Ontario, Canada
# of dives
500 - 999
Curiosity...
Wlo93 and I headed out our grand adventure to see what Big Bay Point has to offer at night...(Oct 22) reminds of this tale my Dad used to spin
"Twas a dark and stormy night, there stood a band of Brigands..."

Man it was dark... there's not a great deal of light down there on the "beach", Wlo93 had this simply brilliant idea of backing the vehicle onto the beach so we were able to gear up in relative comfort... and have the parking lights to mark our re-entry point.

We had 15 feet or so of viz (or as far as the light beam would go - absolutely no ambient light) and 54 degrees of warm water... I'll hazard a guess at 37 degrees for air temp - but I was too numb to notice :eek:

We followed the line down a ways, then did a few back and forths along the slope. Saw a few crayfish, and some of the biggest fish I have ever seen, one in particular was quite friendly, followed along with us for a while. I'd say about 20-24 inches was the average size of the dozen or so fish we saw, pretty sure they were carp.

Big Bay Point is a neat place, but once or twice a year is enough to cure curiosity.

Once out of the water we were keenly aware of the difference between the water and air temps, certainly motivates a quick exit strategy :wink:

I kind of thought those fish looked like bass - some rather large bass, though I could be wrong. And things do look bigger under water as well. Either way, it was quite a lot of fun hanging out with the fishes and seeing what they were up to.... :)

You could be right WLO93...

Either way I was quite taken by them - I might even have reached out to stroke one of them - but I was afraid it would follow me home :wacko:

Funny thing about Fish tales.... those fish keep getting bigger every time I tell the story???
:wink:

I was very surprised to see a whole bunch of them. I suspect they were getting ready for bed ... when we abruptly showed up on their doorstep to say hi.

Hi

I once dove Big bay point at night, its defiantly dark and the fish are unbelievable friendly and always located just above the mail box at the bottom of the slope. I followed the line down to 75 feet and like you said its dark and cold down there. I lost the line on the way up and had to use my compass to return. Getting out in the wind was chilling as well. fall dives don't you just love them.

Amobeus.

Diving in the fall is like a whole new sport!
Just a little more gear and a parka - Voila!
Topside the trees are changing colour, things are changing in the water too - just in more subtle ways.

Glad to see there are enough other hardy souls out there to make it possible.

Something about fighting off the chills just thrills me :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom