Exploring Colpoys Bay for future divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve

Wow.....what a DB
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been trying to find a boat to take me and a couple buddies out on Colpoys to officially locate a couple things I have been looking for:

1. the Underwater Forest
2. the Wall off White Cloud Island

I am fairly certain I know where these items are and have found a charter. Aquaholics will run a 3-4 tank charter, launching at Cedar Hill for 8 divers, $100 per diver. I have a confirmed 3 divers. Simple math indicates I need 5 more.

I am looking to judge interest with divers since I am not in a position to book the charter unless I know I have the divers. I would like for this to happen this year but I cannot guarantee it will come together in time.....possibly late October. I cannot guarantee anything other than a body of water to dive in. I am confident I have the locations but until I swim on top of the trees and along the wall, nothing can be guaranteed.

THE DIVES:

1. Underwater Forest
- reported to be somewhere on Gunderson Shoal.
- my last attempt to locate it found us a couple stumps....I believe we were on the edge when we turned.
- expected to be found in depths of 25' to 50'

2. Wall dive
- located just off White cloud island, it appears to go from 0' - 160' fairly quickly
- more likely a really steep underwater hill than a wall, but a target none the less.

Who is interested in trying to expand the dive site list for our fellow divers? Might even be some fun involved.....exploratory dives usually are.

---------- Post added September 9th, 2013 at 09:40 PM ----------

For those who might be interested, at this point I am trying to make October 19th happen but need the requisite 8 divers confirmed before I can book the boat.

October 19th is not looking like it is to happen - too many people's schedules are conflicting on reasonably short notice. I am resigning myself to the fact that this will not happen this year.

Saturday June 7th, 2014 should give people lots of time to work it into their schedules. It will also give the water time to hopefully reach 50° and the air temps to get warm enough to actually warm you up between dives when out on the water. I will book the charter with the first 8 divers to offer a firm commitment.

I would also be interested. I will see if I can bring a hummingbird sonar since it is transom mounted and has dual purpose use.

Steve, next year is better for me, I'm away in Alberta on the October date anyway.

Sounds interesting. I'm inclined to join but will need to re-confirm closer to the date.

I have been banned from a large bit of Scuba Board so I am rarely on here anymore. At this point I have not picked an official date. Things seem to be pretty busy this spring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom