Purchase scuba gear online - Canadian duty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubafoon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have any experiences purchasing scuba gears online from sites in other countries (e.g. US, UK etc.) and were there any Canadian duty charged (if so, what's the rate for scuba gears)?

Thanks.

I have bought some stuff online and asked the guy at ups how customs is decided and it all depends on what kind of mood the customs guy is in as to your duties.

I purchase gear from a local shop when I can, but.... a month before my last trip to Houndras I stopped at the local shop on a Saturday to buy a replacement computer and a number of BCD parts, probably $600 CDN worth of goodies. They were going to call me with parts availability on Monday. Three weeks later, no call so I ordered from scubatoys.com. I typically have gear shipped to a US hotel when I am headed on a dive trip with an overnight in Houston or Miami. Then I don't worry about customs and import duty and tax. That said, when I have gear shipped to Canada, I always request a shipper other than United Parcel Service (UPS). I have been ripped by UPS a number of times by their import service. I once had a mask fitted with prescription lenses and the company shipped to me from San Diego by UPS. UPS billed me in excess of $50 for duty on my personally owned used goods sent for repair. I fought the duty/tax charges providing them with a purchase receipt from 2 years earlier. UPS basically said pay up or we take you to collection. I have used FedEx (not FedEx Ground which does get stuck in Customs) and parcel post with few items requiring tax/duty. It seems to be luck of the draw with Customs. I regularly buy from scubatoys.com, LeisurePro and others, rarely have to pay import duty/tax.

Do not use ups. They suck. If they don't destroy it they will hose you on fees. I have shipped thousands of dollars worth of goods to Canada via USPS priority mail. Most of my customers said that Canada post just delivered it and said have a nice day.

Hi,

Does anyone have any experiences purchasing scuba gears online from sites in other countries (e.g. US, UK etc.) and were there any Canadian duty charged (if so, what's the rate for scuba gears)?

Thanks.

I sold a set of HP100 doubles to a gentleman in Vancouver BC (I live in Oregon). I shipped to an intermediate company cleverly called "Ship Happens" in a small town just South of the border. He then drove South, picked up the tanks and carried them over.

If you're buying anything of significant value, I'm 100% certain the equivalent is available to you

Hi,

Thanks.

I also try to support the LDS whenever possible, but I also buy lots of stuff on-line, not just dive gear, but hardware for my other expensive interests. Most from the US, but also from as far away as China and Singapore. To echo Jim's comment above, always try to get postal shipping whenever possible, and UPS is certainly the worst of the couriers. In general the principle difference between couriers and the mail is the levying of extra brokerage charges, which are over and above any taxes or duties owing. I've had UPS frequently quote total shipping costs well in excess of the value of the item, due to brokerage charges north of $50 for them to clear the item through Canada Customs. Note that those brokerage charges DO NOT include any moneys actually owing to the government. Canada Post, when they DO get around to charging brokerage fees, charge a flat $5, and often don't even bother.

As to duty and taxes, and Jim's comment about the items being delivered in Canada at no additional cost, we've had it very good the last few years but those days are coming to an end. Up until earlier this year, I hadn't been hit with ANY charges by CBSA or Canada Post in at least 5 years. Everything I brought in, up to many hundreds of dollars (so I can't speak to the really big stuff) came through without me owing a penny.

You may remember some news items over last winter and spring where the federal government was pounding on CBSA and Canada Post for failing to collect millions (or more) in due taxes and duties. Well, as of this spring, I now routinely get hit with having to pay when I collect my parcel at the postal outlet. With Free Trade, I don't believe that DUTY is payable on very much these days, particularly anything actually Made in the USA (others will have to confirm), but you can count on the applicable taxes being demanded. They will usually add up to about the equivalent of GST and PST/HST, though I admit I don't study the receipt very closely.

On a side note, if you are buying off Ebay, either privately or from a retailer, be very careful to watch out for any transactions where the shipper is using the new, and reviled by Canadians who know about it, Global Shipping Program. It's a new shipping program solely for the benefit of the seller where they send the item to Pitney Bowes who assumes all responsibility for shipping, and who then tack on massive extra charges OVER AND ABOVE the actual shipping charges. The charges are supposed to take care of possible customs charges, etc, but bear little resemblance to reality. As an example, I took an interest in a used dry suit from a seller in the US. Item around a grand, shipping of about $100 and the GSP charges of another $400. Caveat Emptor.

Try getting it shipped with local post.

The most I've paid for taxes/brokerage was around $30 (on a $1800 order). Most of the time there isn't any.

If there is, it's usually $7-15 depending on the declaration of contents.

BRad

My experience has been variable. Like jeangadbois said, it depends who you get. A lot of times I get things and there is no duty. Sometimes they charge me 20%. Occasionally I've had things being returned from warranty repair and they charge me 20% even though I didn't purchase anything. Once I had something sit in customs for weeks until I found it and paid the duty. I think Jim might have a point with USPS (not UPS). Things I got shipped regular US Postal Service got here with no or little duty.

Some stores are willing to ship it marked 'gift' or warranty repair so I didn't pay any duty. Getting someone to drive it over the border isn't really an option for Toronto. We really aren't that close to the border and the guys who drive stuff from Buffalo don't want to risk there livelihood on getting caught smuggling goods.

All this said, I haven't bought anything from the US for years. With the cost of shipping and the exchange rate on the dollar (not a huge concern right now but can add up on large purchases) I found I could find things online, figure out how much they'd cost after shipping then go to a local shop and haggle. I found if I asked them to match online pricing they'd not even bother but if I just haggled for a good price I could get them down to the online price or at least something close. The store gets hundreds of dollars in sales and only feels like they are dealing with a good negotiator. I get a good price on equipment, local support, easy warranty support if I need it and I get to support my LDS.

This last point assumes you can haggle a good price but I found one store were it wasn't that hard. The owner seems to be able to sense that I have a price in mind and I'll walk if he doesn't meet it. We never talk about the fact I have a price in mind and he never acknowledges my price is an online price.

Have not had any items shipped over the border but when I go and pick them up from the shipping warehouse I use in Niagara Falls and declaire them I normally only get charged regular 13% sales tax

I will add my voice to the notion of not having anything sent UPS. Total pirates.

Try to have them ship US postal service.

You can get some good deals out of the USA...sometimes during Black Friday sales.

Usually, by the time shipping is factored in...it is not much less than your LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom