Ice Diving - Kirkfield Quarry March 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Westwinds

Registered
Reaction score
Today was an amazing day to ice dive at Kirkfield Quarry. The ice is 14" thick with some visible signs of deterioration. If the warm weather keeps up there will only be a weekend or two of ice diving left at the quarry. Ken met us out on the ice to sign waivers and pay the $10 entry fee. There is an extra $5 charge per person for the snow removal service.

If you are interesting in diving at the quarry simply call Ken a day in advance and he will have the gates open and the path cleared.

Never-the-less the visibility was INCREDIBLE. Attached is a photo of the airplane in the quarry.

Westwinds.

Westwinds:
Today was an amazing day to ice dive at Kirkfield Quarry. The ice is 14" thick with some visible signs of deterioration. If the warm weather keeps up there will only be a weekend or two of ice diving left at the quarry. Ken met us out on the ice to sign waivers and pay the $10 entry fee. There is an extra $5 charge per person for the snow removal service.

If you are interesting in diving at the quarry simply call Ken a day in advance and he will have the gates open and the path cleared.

Never-the-less the visibility was INCREDIBLE. Attached is a photo of the airplane in the quarry.

Westwinds.

OK, I have to ask. Snow removal service?

glbirch:

Because of the unique conditions we've seen in the past week or so, there was no snow to remove. The snow removal occured prior to the dive itself. The road into the quarry was already ploughed, and the entire surface of the quarry was smooth ice with a light dusting of snow. The warmer temperatures melted about the to 4 inches of ice into water/slush which subsequently re-froze into a smooth ice layer. I wish I had brought my skates as I could have skated the quarry.

Here is a pic of the ice layer I took during yesterday's dive. Notice the stratification of the ice layer. Pretty cool!

glbirch:

As Warren indicated the snow removal service was for the access road. Ken brings his tractor in to clear a path. It could be a challenge for those without a 4x4.

He also creates an access route should the group deside to bring their vehicles on the ice.

Westwinds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom