Finned shark at market...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carol_swimmom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just at a local Asian market -east of Toronto. 2 finned smallish (3 foot) sharks displayed in the fish section... Is it legal to sell in Ontario? I forgot my phone at home so no pic unfortunately

I believe Ontario has signed the anti shark finning agreement, but I'm not 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were some municipalities that banned the sale of shark fins but I believe a few years back the supreme court overturned that ban in Toronto.

I was just at a local Asian market -east of Toronto. 2 finned smallish (3 foot) sharks displayed in the fish section... Is it legal to sell in Ontario? I forgot my phone at home so no pic unfortunately

I would see this as a huge opportunity to make a big and very loud stink, at the market !! :)

A good time to ruin the day, for some people that deserve it....And again, it is what is right or wrong...not so much whether corrupt politicians have decided to make it legal or illegal.

So was the shark there without it's fins... or were they selling just the fins? I'm confused?

If the sharks were caught legally and can be sold, I have no problem with the fins being sold separately. Shark finning involves catching sharks and cutting off their fins and then throwing the shark back in to die. There are limits allowed for sharks. Sharks should be caught within legal limits. The number of sharks brought to a market and the number of find brought by the same fisherman should correlate. But what difference does it make if the shark is sold separately from the fins?

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

If the sharks were caught legally and can be sold, I have no problem with the fins being sold separately. Shark finning involves catching sharks and cutting off their fins and then throwing the shark back in to die. There are limits allowed for sharks. Sharks should be caught within legal limits. The number of sharks brought to a market and the number of find brought by the same fisherman should correlate. But what difference does it make if the shark is sold separately from the fins?

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

I disagree with this statement. As long as FINS are available on the market, you boost the demand. Only when NO fins are allowed anywhere will this practice stop. Just because the fishermen tried to make a few extra dollars with the meat, still does not make it OK.

I do see a part of where you are coming from. If a shark is for sale for meat, what's the difference if the fins are still attached? The difference is that the shark was likely killed more for the fin than any other reason.

Yes 2 sharks there on ice. No fins.

Shark finning is when they cut off the fins and release the shark. If they land the shark and sell it for human consumption, that is entirely different. The US has a pretty robust shark fishery, do you want to deny other countries to do something similar?

Maybe they can breed a special hybrid of sharks that have no fins? :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

Not sure what water body near GTO has sharks....pretty sure they would have been imported.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom