What's your comfort zone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06

Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious as to what depth is in you comfort zone. Some people prefer shallow depths, while others much prefer going deep. By comfort zone, I mean at what depth do you enjoy diving the most (yes I know, diving is fun at any depth and depends on the dive objective so please don't give me hard time :cwmddd: )

Here are my comfort zones
In cold, low viz water: 40-60 feet
In warm water: 80-100 feet

divemed06:
Just curious as to what depth is in you comfort zone. Some people prefer shallow depths, while others much prefer going deep. By comfort zone, I mean at what depth do you enjoy diving the most (yes I know, diving is fun at any depth and depends on the dive objective so please don't give me hard time :cwmddd: )

Here are my comfort zones
In cold, low viz water: 40-60 feet
In warm water: 80-100 feet

I am completely comfortable down to about 110 feet...

I've found much to see at various depths...Sometimes it is sea life at 20 feet; other times it is a wreck at 100.

I suppose I'm not answering exactly what you asked. :banana:

Depends on a varity of conditions for me, especially who im diving with.

eric

Depends a lot on who I'm diving with. Most of my diving is about 60 feet, with the occasional dive lower. My max so far is 90 and I'm perfectly comfortable with it.

I don't think depth really comes into the question, it depends what there is to see. One of the most interesting dives I ever did was at an average of 2.5m. There was an 8degree C thermocline at 3.5m and it was a rocky coast with waves breaking. Below the thermocline there was no life, it was all concentrated above the thermocline. I spent the whole dive vomiting through my reg but I didn't want to get out, there was so much to see.

The most because the enjoyment to technical support ratio is higher.

The deeper I go the more equipment and planning I need and the more support. While I do enjoy the planning and working with technical equipment I would rather not have to spend all that time if I don't need to.

I have no problem doing rec dives to 130' but the NDL limits the time. Most of the time I am no deeper than 60'. I have LOTS of dives to less than 20'

divemed06:
By comfort zone, I mean at what depth do you enjoy diving the most (yes I know, diving is fun at any depth and depends on the dive objective so please don't give me hard time :cwmddd: )

Pretty much anything deeper than 5'. If it's shallower than 5', then its snorkelling...

For me, I'd be comfortable at any depth if deco wasn't an issue. It's the deco that scares me: you have to have total faith in your skills, your equipment, and your buddy - if you have a problem you can't just bolt to the surface. I'm super comfortable up to 120-130 ft, but when I start to feel "the buzz" (on Air) and begin to accumulate deco, I become more cognizant of the harsh environment I'm currently immersed in.

It somewhat depends on the environment. In Lake Ontario, it is typically more enjoyable to be below the thermocline where the visibility improves. In the St. Lawrence there is no thermocline so it doesn't really matter.

That said, most people's comfort is sensitive to depth and the level of complication of the dive. For the most part I am comfortable down to 250'. Go where there is something to see (assuming your skills, experience, equipment and team are up to the task).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom