Big Bay Point on July 1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Groundhog246

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're going to try for Big Bay Point (Barrie) late Thursday. Plan is to arrive around supper time (will post more exact time later today or early tomorrow). Early enough to do one dive while still light out and then stay on for a night dive.
I'm informed temps are in the mid 50's and that this is a good dive for less experienced divers. I've never dove there (thus part of the reason for getting one dive in during daylight hours).

Groundhog246:
We're going to try for Big Bay Point (Barrie) late Thursday. Plan is to arrive around supper time (will post more exact time later today or early tomorrow). Early enough to do one dive while still light out and then stay on for a night dive.
I'm informed temps are in the mid 50's and that this is a good dive for less experienced divers. I've never dove there (thus part of the reason for getting one dive in during daylight hours).
I was there last night. Viz was not bad, about 20'. I've seen it better at times, but not bad. There's a thermocline at about 45'. Temps not bad in the high 50s, then dropping to the low 50s in the thermocline.

If you follow the line out to about 30' and then hang a right (ie. east), you will run across a 15' boat. If you follow the main line out you will run into a mail box, a few statues, and around 70' there is a toilet with a cell phone attached to a line. If you take the parallel line off the main line (at around 40') headed west, you will run into a few objects to see as well.

Groundhog, if you happen to find a dive float with a red line and red plastic handle around, it is probably mine as the chop of the waves last night loosened the line and carried it away. :(

Groundhog246:
Count me in :D
I'll drop you a PM

Warren_L:
Groundhog, if you happen to find a dive float with a red line and red plastic handle around, it is probably mine as the chop of the waves last night loosened the line and carried it away. :(
Will keep an eye peeled. I lost a float and flag diving the Morrison December before last (don't ask why I was diving the Morrison on Dec 22). Winds picked up and carried it away. It was just passed the jug over the wreck when we surfaced at the shore. Considered chasing it for about 5 seconds, then waved bye bye. I've made sure I carry or well secure the replacment.

I treat it as a virtual overhead, as most of the boaters there don't have a clue. I still tend to fly a dive flag, usually clip it off around 50 to 100 feet from shore. If it keeps even one boat out of the area, I think it's worth the effort.

Warren_L:
I was there last night. Viz was not bad, about 20'. I've seen it better at times, but not bad. There's a thermocline at about 45'. Temps not bad in the high 50s, then dropping to the low 50s in the thermocline.

:(

Very strange temp differencial - the temp on the Morrison on Monday night was 45F and it is shallower. Guess it is because it is more open than BBP

Viz on a Morrison was in 40+ range as well - happens every time i leave the camera home

Groundhog246:
I treat it as a virtual overhead, as most of the boaters there don't have a clue. I still tend to fly a dive flag, usually clip it off around 50 to 100 feet from shore. If it keeps even one boat out of the area, I think it's worth the effort.
Ain't that the truth. I was at Centennial beach just off the Morrison with an open water class doing their certification dives today. We had a dive float/flag just about 30 feet off the beach and some nutbar decides to drive his boat right into the beach, not 15 feet from the flag with divers down. Some people have absolutely no clue....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom