PADI vs. NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WannaLaguna

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone, I'm starting to hear allot of talk about different dive associations and the way they act towards each other, and their reputations around the world. It's becoming increasingly clear that there is a real divide among the two groups.

I'm interested in hearing more about this. I'm not looking for a flame war...just informed, educated information regarding the pluses and minuses of each group.

Looking forward to this exchange.

hmm, i don't really know naui, since i've always been diving padi. my sister just did her first certificate with naui though and i had a look at her book.
padi tends to put a lot of brainwashing into their books and videos and too many ads (that's how i feel). too much bla bla bla.
naui seems more straight forward and after a quick glance at my sisters course book i feel they cover more areas in the first book than the padi owd.
what i think is positive about padi is that padi is everywhere which makes it easier to continue your education with the rules you learnt.

Every agency has something or things that make them different from the others, but the bottom line is after a diver is certified they are a diver. Too many people out there think that what flavor of diver you are (what agencies card you have in your wallet) makes a difference... not true. What makes a diver a good diver is mostly their own ability and partly how good an instructor they had. Every agency has their superstars and their less then stellar performers intructors. If you want ot be a good diver find a shop/insturctor with a solid reputation and work with them. Agencies certifications are transfererable at most levels from one to the other, so it is perfectly fine to start as NAUI, Switch to PADI and then to YMCA, SSI, SDI...etc.

hope this helps

WannaLaguna:
I'm interested in hearing more about this. I'm not looking for a flame war...just informed, educated information regarding the pluses and minuses of each group.

Looking forward to this exchange.

Then why don't you read the 10,000 posts that are already here, instead of starting yet another thread that will serve no purpose.

I have to agree with RIDIVER. Find a good instructor.
The agency doesn't matter as much as finding a top notch instructor
and working with him/her.

MechDiver:
Then why don't you read the 10,000 posts that are already here, instead of starting yet another thread that will serve no purpose.

how about letting off on the person. sheesh.....

If everyone just searched the other posts then the only posts that would be on here are "look what new thing I got" and "who wants to go diving". There would not be much discussion.

If there are already threads out there that is great. But what if there are those who joined SB since then, that have something to add. Am I supposed to go back and read all the 10, 000 posts and reply with my opionion/ information even though they may be a few years old?

gimme a break.

If anything you are posting in this thread and your post "servers no purpose". The post was created and a fresh discussion has started. If you have nothing to add then don't.

don't let the sour pusses get you down. Good question.
I think all the agencies have something to offer and I like to think I am a student of all of them.

A good instructor, regardless of agency is the way to go. Too bad they are not always easy to find.

WannaLaguna:
Sorry, not trying to be a pain MechDiver. I'm new to the industry. I've been looking around the site but didn't find what I wanted. Why not point me in the right direction rather than being negative?

You must certainly be new. Had you been here for any length of time you would know that's just not the scubaboard way :wink:

Seriously though - you just wanna learn to dive? find a shop close by and an instructor you like, and do it. don't worry about what logo's gonna be on your c-card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom