Lyman Davis "block" question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marvintpa

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone who frequents this site know anything about the "block" that is positioned off the stern of the Lynam Davis near Toronto? I did not see it myself as it was reportedly 50-80 feet off the back of the wreck and I don't swim that far unless there's a wreck at the end of it :). SOS is trying to determine what it is, if it can eaily be moved, and if it would be suitable as a mooring block. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Some photos of the site can be found here

I have not been to this wreck in years and it looks from your pictures that there is more light down there. Good pictures by the way.
Is there a line on this wreck now? Just curious because I would like to go out some day.
Now for your question, I think it was a mooring block that was put there by CUTC back in the days they where marching around Lake Ontario. Not sure though, that is what I heard some time ago.
Hey guys I know there are more wrecks like this one around T.O. but does anyone know where they are?
deepdiver5by5

What is the CUTC?

Because we could not moor it properly no marker was left behind. We are attempting to plan another visit to do some more measurements and photography for the SOS.

Yes, there are other wrecks in the Toronto area but no one appears to be in a hurry to dive/moor/research them much. Depths in the area can be considerable (in excess of 300') and the new harbour rules don't exactly make diving in the area a simple matter.

Canadian Underwater Training Center. They where at one time one of the premier commercial diving training centers in North America. They had a very large steel ship with all the dive capabilities on it, parked in Toronto Harbour where the new fire station is right now.
It would be nice to start to find those wrecks around TO.
deepdiver5by5

CUTC was the Canadian Underwater Training Centre which was the only North Sea rated school in North America at the time. It was based on an old tanker named the Fuel Marketer in Toronto Harbour and also had a 70' dive tender called the Lois T.
They used to dive the harbour over the side or through a moon pool in the bottom of the ship if the ice got too thick. The harbour was used for the basic skills. but once that was over, virtually everything was done at 165' out in the lake off the Lois T. They had several moorings (class rooms) out in the lake but I don't think any were shallower than 160.

It was a very busy school in it's day as graduates from all the other North American Schools had to pass through there if they wanted to upgrade to a North Sea rating. They did mostly standard air, chamber operations etc. but got into mixed gas when the Dept. of Labour set the max air depthg at 165.

All the instructors were retired military, ex DCIEM types and when the the city didn't want to renew the leace (lets clean up the harbour front days) they decided it was time to retire for real.

The Fuel Marketer was sold for scrap. The large chamber was donated to Seneca Collage and the Lois T with small chamber was sold to Nadro Marine. It has since been sold again and renamed the Charlie E and sits in Port Colborne Harbor.

Craig Workman of Lake Erie Marine Services leases it for dive charters when he has enough people interested.

In any event, I don't think the block was a CUTC mooring. Both the Sligo and Morell have big blocks on them 2'x4'x8' which I helped put there many years ago. I haven't been there for years, but I was told that the Sligo has a SOS type buoy on it. I don't know about the Morell.

Thanks for the history lesson Ian, I appreciate that. Guess we may never know what that block is. SOS Toronto is working to try and put a good mooring block on the wreck. Do you know of anyone who might be able to assist in doing this correctly (and who works cheap - for a good cause)?

Last time I was on the Sligo (about a month ago) there was only a javex jug submerged a few feet beneath the surface, even with GPS it took us a few minutes to locate the line. The DM I think mentioned there was a proper buoy on the line at some point in its tenure but not last month.

advtech:
In any event, I don't think the block was a CUTC mooring. Both the Sligo and Morell have big blocks on them 2'x4'x8' which I helped put there many years ago. I haven't been there for years, but I was told that the Sligo has a SOS type buoy on it. I don't know about the Morell.

On Saturday (Aug. 28) we inspected the mooring on the Sligo. I'm not sure when it was placed there, but the guy who did it was on the boat and noticed that the chain just below the SOS buoy was missing, the tag line had been hacked up and no longer had a loop in it to tie to, and there was virtually no scope in the line at all.

Back
Top Bottom