GTA Dive clubs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdcrouch

New
Reaction score
I'm looking to join a local (GTA) dive club. I'm leaning toward the Etobicoke Underwater Club because of its ACUC affiliation and it is in the West end but I'd like anybody's honest opinion of any other clubs. My main focus is the diving and not so much as a social club. Its been a frustrating summer trying to find one day weekend charters that don't require weeks of planning or risking driving for 3 hours to tempt the fates as a walk-on. I like the idea of upgrading my skills with club sponsored training sessions. If anyone can give me their two pennies or personal experiences I'd love to hear from you.

James

If you're not looking for a dive club as a social club, maybe check out area LDS's if you haven't already done so? I think most have a group/club that go diving almost every weekend either locally or out of town, for one day or a weekend, even during weeknights. I think most of the clubs/groups at LDS's don't require a club fee; I know of at least 2 that don't for sure. Basically the LDS becomes a point of reference for people to get together to go diving.

Some LDS's even offer workshop type courses for exactly what you're looking for: training sessions to upgrade skills, not necessarily for c-cards. For instance, the shop I dive with (AquaSub) held an in-water skills clinic just this past Sunday...no c-card involved, just for divers looking to get some feedback and guidance on their skills.

There is a thread here that helpfully lists a lot of shops by area; you could start there.

Sorry to hear you've been frustrated trying to get out this summer. But hey, although summer might be technically over, the dive season is still in play! :) I'm diving the Sligo this Sunday; it's a mile and some off Humber Bay in Etobicoke. PM me if you want to come along. :)

Hi again James.

I cant help with the club thing but send me your e-mail address and I will add it to my SoScuba list. At least you'll get some diving in as one day weekend charters are right up my alley. Hopefully this coming Sunday will work out for the Wexford. I am curious what the vis will be this time.

Cheers
Sean

jdcrouch:
I'm looking to join a local (GTA) dive club. I'm leaning toward the Etobicoke Underwater Club because of its ACUC affiliation and it is in the West end but I'd like anybody's honest opinion of any other clubs. My main focus is the diving and not so much as a social club. Its been a frustrating summer trying to find one day weekend charters that don't require weeks of planning or risking driving for 3 hours to tempt the fates as a walk-on. I like the idea of upgrading my skills with club sponsored training sessions. If anyone can give me their two pennies or personal experiences I'd love to hear from you.

James

Sounds like you did not look hard enough,

Scuba2000 had sport dives almost every weekend
Aquasub does as well
Northern Tech almost always has spots available on their charters
Ducks Dive in Picton sometimes has last min cancellations
There are bunch of charter businesses operaitng in Lake Erie that i have no checked this year, but had no problems calling on Wed and going diving on the weekend last year
At least three charter shops in St. Lawrence that you can call during the week and go diving on a weekend (Bottom Time, Wayne Green, Abucs

It is much easier to find a place for one of two people that trying to set up a group dive

As for the dive clubs, there Scarborough Underwater Club

Misssisaugua Scuba Club
http://www.mississaugascubaclub.org/

Niagara Divers Association
http://www.vaxxine.com/nda/

Then there is Freeflow Club that was formed this year and there are lots of pages on that one in this section.

There are about half a dozen others as well

Few years ago when i got tired of diving by myself, i was seriously thinking of joining Missisauga club - they were a very friendly bunch of people and had experience ranges from newbies to techs and quite a varied dive schedule

Good luck in your choice

Canadian Sub-Aqua Club has been in existance since 1957. We use the Thornlea Pool in Thornhill every monday night (except stat holidays) for training and recreation. We have club dives through the diving season and some of the club members also organize smaller groups for dive weekends or even day trips. We also have an active social schedule

You can get more info at
http://www.cdnsubaquaclub.org

or contact me through this board.

Glenn

I don't know if you are close to the Durham region but I know the Durham Divers are a good group and have members from Toronto and elsewhere - not just durham

www.durhamdivers.com

Whatever club you join it is a great way to learn more about diving.

jdcrouch:

James

Hey James,

Just reading over your post and wanted to give a little more information on local clubs. For the past three years I have been a member of HADA (Hamilton Area Divers Association.)

The age ranges and experience levels range and are all over the map however I will give it that all the divers that I have had the opportunity to meet and dive with have been both experienced and lots of fun to be with.

They have an annual meeting, one in February, and the club is made up of people who enjoy setting up dives, and allowing other club members to join in. As an example if you wanted to dive the Niagara River, you can make the date, post it to the site, invite the members of HADA, and contact a HADA divemaster (or above) and everyone shows up, later after the dive sitting down for a few beers and completion of the mandatory dive log and next thing you know you have 50-75 dives in the year.

If you want to contact me about more info PM me and I can forward it for you.

Dive safe,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom