Dress for success

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suppose I wanted to order a copy from your local dive store ... ya think I could get the author to autograph it? ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I might be interested in that as well!! Do you do a package deal with some of your videos Tom?

Tom R:
The new DIR book on gear configuration is about to hit the streets. Written by Canada's only GUE instructor Dan Mackay this is an excellent book. Contact your local DIR dive store or quasi DIR dive store for ordering information.

Hey, Tom... sounds interesting.

Can you give us a little more insight as to WHY you think this is a "must read"?

Tom:

Will all Dive Shops carry this book ? How is it going to be distributed ? I would not mind getting one.

SubMariner:
Hey, Tom... sounds interesting.

Can you give us a little more insight as to WHY you think this is a "must read"?

This book is about gear configuration for the DIR minded diver, when I read it for the first time my first thought was I wish someone would have told me this or directed me this way first. There are too many people selling DIR like stuff with the wrong gear just because that's what the store sells.

One thing sticks in my mind at the moment it is the backlash alot of divers/instructors/students/salespersons have done lately. Bash and call down DIR walk into their establishments and see what they are selling alot of them are selling DIR-Like equipment and training. Unfortunately some of it is the wrong gear and the diver suffers.

This book explains equipment and the reasons why that particular equipment is configured that way.

I'd like to see it.
Interestingly enough I think that attitudes are changing towards DIR. When I first joined SB there seemed to be a DIR war almost every week. In the last several months I haven't seen one. I'm sure that some of the trolls that used to get their kicks stoking up the fights are a little disappointed - but it seems to reflect that more and more people have a genuine interest. Probably it also has to do with a more relaxed approach that DIR proponents themselves seem to be adopting. As in many areas, it's easier to get along with new things that are presented in a palatable way - not rammed down your throat.

I heard someone say the reason DIR never adopted the full face mask was because Jarrod could never stand listening to George Irvine for 2 hours while on a deco hang.

I was at first put off by the strident attitude of the DIR gang... until I realized just how much sense it made. Never - not once, have I ever asked a question about a single DIR principal and been told "that's just the way we do things."

Something like this book, which will explain 'why we do things,' will be a valuable resource to someone who has a genuine interest and an open mind. However, if they're merely looking to attack the system, I'm sure they'll look at this and start to salivate thinking of all the ways they can continue to attack it.

Kim:
I'd like to see it.
Interestingly enough I think that attitudes are changing towards DIR. When I first joined SB there seemed to be a DIR war almost every week.

Most of us just got fed up with the trash talk and moved on to other boards, because of it. Funny thing now is most of them are all quazi-dir now, I wonder who is laughing now, unfortunately I cant say I told you so 50000 times

Back
Top Bottom