OTS guardian FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sterlingMarineService

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been serching around for prices and think Im going to buy the guardian FFM

THing I cant decide on is the comms: buddy phone is an option, but my buddy has this other system with an external box that has an extra ear mic and better quality, also 500 bucks more

what do you use?

Hello Sterling,

I think you're buddy has an SSB2010/1001 thru-water transceiver with an Ear/Mic (EM) assembly. This is what I use routinely. It's not so much a matter of quality, it's mostly application. The BuddyPhone is an all in one unit attached to the mask that is relatively low power, hence the name "Buddy" phone. It's primary application is for conversation between divers where long range and high power are not a requirement. The SSB units are significantly higher power and are modular in design. When your mask is set up with an EM assembly you can switch from the SSB to ComRope (hardwire) simply by plugging in either kit.

In selecting the equipment, you need to take into consideration your needs, as well as your budget. What type of diving are you doing and who are you talking with? The BuddyPhone will communicate with an SSB unit in the same frequency. Do you need to communicate with the surface also?

John

Hello Sterling,

I think you're buddy has an SSB2010/1001 thru-water transceiver with an Ear/Mic (EM) assembly. This is what I use routinely. It's not so much a matter of quality, it's mostly application. The BuddyPhone is an all in one unit attached to the mask that is relatively low power, hence the name "Buddy" phone. It's primary application is for conversation between divers where long range and high power are not a requirement. The SSB units are significantly higher power and are modular in design. When your mask is set up with an EM assembly you can switch from the SSB to ComRope (hardwire) simply by plugging in either kit.

In selecting the equipment, you need to take into consideration your needs, as well as your budget. What type of diving are you doing and who are you talking with? The BuddyPhone will communicate with an SSB unit in the same frequency. Do you need to communicate with the surface also?

John

Thanks!!!

Not even the OTS sales rep went into detail like that. I did order the guardian with D2 Buddy phone mainly for money and now I only need to talk to my buddy who has the SSB 2010. He got it because with that box he could plug into his camera for inspections.

I also heard that if I wanted to do surface communication I could buy the SSB 2010 and plug it into a comm box on the surface and it would work.

I think what I got is fine for SCUBA because I wont go far from the surface or the dive station.

If I do I'll use Surface supplied which obviously has a lot better comm system

How does the Guardian differ from the AGA? Or does it?

How does the Guardian differ from the AGA? Or does it?

I love the double mask seal personally, the easily detachable 2nd stage.

I'm sure there are pros, and cons to both, but my Guardian is easily my favorite piece of dive gear. :)

The two masks are similar- The Guardian has a softer face skirt and it is a double seal all the way around the face. It seems to be more comfortable for me than the AGA and I don't have any leaks at the temples like I do with an unmodified AGA.

Regulator is easily detachable from the mask via a push button release on the inside. Right side regulator feed instead of the left side AGA feed, and it is a standard regulator second stage connection.

Haven't purchased one yet but the minor mainenance kit for the Guardian should be about $100 less than the AGA kit.

Supply hose, surface supply valve and case are included with the Guardian.

Back
Top Bottom