Beqa Island, Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppronovo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, We're looking forward to trip to Beqa Lagoon in Fiji soon. I understand the diving will be amazing and the highlight will be diving with large sharks. All I see posted for that location, however, is the shark diving. Does anyone know directly about other dive opportunities in the region? In particular, for photo opportunities with reefs, macro, wrecks, etc. I doubt I need to plan on taking a boat to another locale but am hoping to get insight for non-shark diving from those who've been there.

Thanks!

I stayed at the Beqa Lagoon Resort a few years back.....even from the house reef you can do off the beach, the reefs were amazing.
My favorites were the huge pinnacles that come up from about 90 feet all the way up to about 3 feet from the surface....the largest collection I think was 7 of these, each about 100 feet in diameter....called Seven sisters I think....

The marine life is fantastic.....I liked it so much, I passed on bothering with the shark dive--we see sharks any time we want to in Palm Beach...the reef life in Fiji is what I went for!!!!

We leave for Beqa Lagoon Resort next Thursday night! Cannot wait. Will put a post when we get back!
I want to see videos !!!
And let me know if the DM is still using the freedive fins I left, or the Titanium Pole spear :) I left every good toy I could....
You should know...that you will get very attached to many of the islanders you see daily....and on leaving, you are going to want to give something to their children that is education related....The next time I go, I will have tried to gather up all the old laptops of all my friends--things they don't use anymore because of their new Ipad or Surface pro, whatever....these old laptops are LIFE-CHANGERS for the kids on the Island...Trust me, do something like this, and you will be very happy.

i'll be in Fiji from 17 th of april to 25 th of april. Im based at Plantation island on molololili which is out on the mamacushas (sp) and I'm diving with Subsurface fiji.
With these guys theres 2 decent wreck dives a couple of really good fast drift dives. Theres a lot of typical coral diving too.

I'll be honest I wasn't over impressed with the bega lagoon experience. PLEASE don't let me put you off but I personally felt it was too orchestrated. Frankly it was a "dive" a dsd diver could do. I prefer to encounter sea live in their natural enviroment--and you do when on the outer islands

i'll be in Fiji from 17 th of april to 25 th of april. Im based at Plantation island on molololili which is out on the mamacushas (sp) and I'm diving with Subsurface fiji.
With these guys theres 2 decent wreck dives a couple of really good fast drift dives. Theres a lot of typical coral diving too.

I'll be honest I wasn't over impressed with the bega lagoon experience. PLEASE don't let me put you off but I personally felt it was too orchestrated. Frankly it was a "dive" a dsd diver could do. I prefer to encounter sea live in their natural enviroment--and you do when on the outer islands
I think the divers in your group must have been weak, so the boat chose to provide baby dives..{ Not saying you are weak--just that a captain will often look for the lowest common denominator in a group---and how many of these there are, in choosing dive sites}..the group I was with, was 15 divers from Florida, all better than the typical Instructor by a wide margin....all thousands of dives in challenging conditions...the Beqa crews took us to all the places they enjoyed diving themselves, and let us doing anything we wanted to.
They even invited me to do night time spearfishing with several of the crew--as they liked the 90 foot deep freediving they saw me doing between scuba dives.

I think this area of the Indo-pacific, gets large numbers of very bad divers from NZ and from Asia....many that can barely swim, and many that need all their gear removed from their backs, before they can even climb on the boat... But they are quick to recognize if this is not the case, and our experiences with them were excellent.

Last edited:
90 foot deep free diving between scuba diving? I am by no means an expert but everything I have heard/ read on that suggests it is definitely not a good idea to free dive in between scuba... Am I missing something or have I been misinformed?

90 foot deep free diving between scuba diving? I am by no means an expert but everything I have heard/ read on that suggests it is definitely not a good idea to free dive in between scuba... Am I missing something or have I been misinformed?
Some dives that the other 15 divers are doing on a 90 foot bottom, particularly with a pinnacle coming up to 3 feet from the surface, I would just opt to freedive rather than scuba....so for this I am saying 'in between the many scuba dives in days....So in most cases, this is either the first dive of the day for me to freedive, or I have been having to wait an hour or more as we go to some far away 2nd dive site, or 3rd, and I will elect to freedive.....
But....I would also sometimes go against TRADITIONAL WISDOM and freedive during a normal surface interval, as I have been doing this for 40 years, and have never been bent. You need to understand that the "popular" understanding of the tables and surface interval behavior is something of an "Art"..it is not pure science--they predict what they guess will occur to a large population of people.....I already have my own "tables", based on so many thousands of dives over such a long period, and this is based on me alone. And I also have the special WKPP Tables created by George Irvine, Dr Bill Hamilton and Bill Mee, which were based around George and others with VO2 Max scores over 65ml/kg ...which I have been using since around 1997.

So..no you have not been mis-informed....your belief is the smartest course of behavior open to you. I just don't always follow the normal tables exactly, but when I deviate, I usually do have an expectation what I am doing is safe....

That being said...there are some dives you can do out on these pinnacles, with such incredible marine life on them, that there is just NO WAY that I can end the dive after only an hour of scuba----so I rip of the tank and BC, and get back to business......I'd start out doing surface snorkeling and relaxed putzing around for 10 minutes or so--this is actually a huge area for off-gassing behavior, right on the surface, that gets practically no attention by the agencies....In fact, it is hugely important, far more so than being on the boat doing nothing. This can actually be part of the "shape" of your deco profile from the previous dive. The "Shape" of your deco is a big deal, all by itself..but that's another thread :)
After my doing 10 or 15 minutes of this, I may start doing drops to 20 feet...with long surface runs between...and by 45 minutes after the start, I may well do some drops to the bottom....but I am already very clean for this( of bubbling) by this time. The average diver is NOT going to know how fast they "clear" of bubbles. George Irvine and I were in Doppler studies, so I do know.

What you should know, is that if you ever pushed harder/more aggressively on a dive than you should have--if you are thinking, wow--this was dumb, what if I get bent from this profile--why did I not come up sooner-----what you should know, is that the smartest course of action here, is that once you have finished your last safety/deco stop--the BEST thing you could do is slide out of your gear in the water ( ask someone else to pull it on the boat), and you float around in the water for the next 20 minutes or so....if you have a snorkel, all the better to float and enjoy what is under you, but without doing any drops !

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. Probably still won't be trying it, but I do know that the tables are built on the very conservative side and include people who are definitely not in fantastic shape. So some people can certainly get away with much more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom