Is Bora Bora worth diving? I don't want to haul all our dive gear if i don't have to

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dove there, and it was okay. In that whole area, there is a huge emphasis on shark-feeding dives. The reefs have taken a big hit from a plague of crown-of-thorns starfish. It's warm, clear water diving and it was fun, and if I were going to be there ten full days, I'd probably want to do some, but you might want to sit down and think about what of your own gear you can't do without, because it isn't world class diving in my book.

It is really expensive. The diving isn't as good as Palau.

we have been to Palau a couple times, nice diving! this one is not really meant purely for a dive vacation, but my wife chose it for her 60th birthday destination. the question is whether we should bring all our dive dive stuff or not. we have ~100 lbs of dive gear between the two of us.

Its Barely worth diving......really average. Coral also got smashed by a cyclone a few years ago as well as the crown of thorns problem. Yes theres lemon sharks everywhere - top dive feed them so expect them to show up as soon as the boat stops. I noticed you chose BDC - the best option there. I wouldnt bother taking 100lb of gear, Id take my wetsuit and hire the rest if this is not a dedicated diving holiday. One or max Two dive days and you will have seen everything.

Given the choice of diving in the Duwamish River or Bora Bora, I would opt for Bora Bora.

There are probably some unreal dive spots in Bora Bora, but the tourist never get there. Oahu was the same thing - gazillions of tourist divers, but the really magical spots like the cave system, the tiger shark caverns, and the northern tip of the island were rarely visited by anyone.

Have fun down there.

Given the choice of diving in the Duwamish River or Bora Bora, I would opt for Bora Bora.

There are probably some unreal dive spots in Bora Bora, but the tourist never get there. Oahu was the same thing - gazillions of tourist divers, but the really magical spots like the cave system, the tiger shark caverns, and the northern tip of the island were rarely visited by anyone.

Have fun down there.

i don't dive in the PNW. have maybe 6 dives there. but have close to 500 tropical dives. we have dove many many places in the pacific and carib. what i am seeing here in this thread, not worth taking my dive gear to Bora Bora. our last trip was to turks and caicos and before that wakatobi, indonesia. i think that little cayman was much better than turks and caicos. only my opinion of course. wakatobi, indonesia and palau pretty hard to beat in my book.

Bruce

Bora Bora is ok for 3-4 dives at most. Reef is dead but lemon sharks very nice. They have a manta dive but viz was poor when we were there. I don't think they are feeding the sharks anymore since a diver got bit a while back, but I could be wrong.

Can't convince the wife to head to Rangiroa for a few days? Now THAT would be worth taking the equipment for :wink: The massive mantas in Bora Bora were pretty cool! Didn't care for the shark feeding, but other customers requested it.
Sorry for hijack - Anyone know what ever happened to the top dive resort/restaurant? We stayed there in 2006 and it was a great time, cute little resort and fantastic restaurant. I understand the Swiss brothers who owned it sold it?

Back
Top Bottom