Fiji-Any Macro Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leafyseadragon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to Fiji in October. Does anyone know of any good macro diving spots? I'm into nudibranchs.
I've been to Lembeh Strait, Wainilu in Komodo, Sipadan, etc.
I haven't booked a place to stay yet and am flexible to go to any area/island.
Thank you!

I went to Fiji in July last year and did a week on the Island Dancer. The weather was not in our favour and we did not do all the dive sites planned but saw quite a bit of macro stuff like nudibranchs and flatworms. Not the profusion of macro like Bali-Komodo but closer to Sipadan.

I do not recall the specific dive sites we saw them but if you are doing land-based diving, all you have to do is tell the local divemaster about your macro interest and they will sort out the best itinerary for you.

Just got back from diving the Bligh Water/Vitu-i-ra Channel. Saw nudis on practically every dive including blue dragons, but only a few really unique ones that I hadn't seen before. We dove with Wananavu in Rakiraki, but I've also heard great things about the Nai'a if you want to do a liveaboard. All of the soft coral and anemones would make for some nice marco too.

--Thumbsplitter

Hi Leafyseadragon,
The Namena Marine Reserve, Somosomo Straight, Makogai all have strong macro sites and there is no better way than to go with the local experts who can show you pigmy seahorses, nudibranch, leaf fish, mantis shrimp, garden eels and a whole host of macro critters, not to mention the big guys as well.
Here is a link where you can find more information on Fiji: Fiji - Siren Fleet
:)

Hi leafyseadragon

I was in Fiji in April, i was aboard Fiji Siren and we dived Bligh Water, Wakaya, Nigali Passage, Taveuni, Savusavu and the Namena Reserve. I saw numerous different nudis. The most common was the Chromodoris Willani which seemed to be in each place i dived.

But i think the best spot for variety was the Namena Reserve - South Save a Tack- "Black Coral" and "Neds Nuts" were my fave macro spots of the trip, blue dragons and several types of chromodoris. There was also plenty of other macro life including ghost pipefish, long nosed hawkfish, leaf fish, ribbon eels, pipefish, coral cowries and even pygmy seahorses (at Yellow Brick Road on North Save a Tack Passage)!

E6, in Bligh Water, is also a wonderful site - there are soft corals, black coral and whips inside the cathedral like cavern - our guides found robust ghost pipefish, whip coral gobies & shrimps, nudis & crabs.

Hope you enjoy it - Fiji is wonderful!
NS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom