Where to stay in Fakarava?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I are planning a trip in 2015 to Rangiroa/Fakarava....would like to spend 4-5 days on each island, and want to stay at kia Ora on Rangiroa, but are not sure about where to stay on Fakarava....from what we understand, there are no real hotels there, and have read pros and cons for certain pensions.....could really use some advice here..I want to dive the passes in both places....any suggestions would be appreciated....also, what time of year is the best for this location for diving?

Anyone?????-------certainly someone has ideas???.......tia........

There is one hotel, called the White Sand Resort, formerly the Maitai. Big bucks.

Among the pensions, I just booked the Havaiki, located on the northern part of the atoll. Not inexpensive, but the beach bungalows have AC and a minifridge. I had stayed at the Tokerau Village the two times I had been there before, but they are not open during the time I plan to be there in January.

In the south, I've only stayed at Tetamanu.

It is possible to dive the southern pass while staying in the north provided there are enough people who want to pay the extra amount to go there. Fakarava Diving Center, which I highly recommend, requires 4 minimum.

I've always gone during our Winter and Spring.

thanks so much Sam......(now I can get my wife started on it...lol)

Consider also Vekeveke, is a great option too with good food a wonderful beach.

I'm following up on my earlier comments regarding my stay at the Havaiki Pearl Lodge in Fakarava. Again, while not inexpensive, my impressions are generally positive. The place is well run, has a nice beach, the staff is very friendly, and there are enough amenities within the resort to provide diversions above and beyond the scuba diving that most people come to Fakarava for.

There is a gym with free weights, a pulley-type weight machine (similar to Universals) and a couple of cardio machines (treadmill and an elliptical). There is an onsite pearl farm that provides tours if requested. The pier overlooks a fish pen - a bit like looking into a small aquarium. Bikes are available for free - we found them very handy for taking a ride to the village to get lunch.

There is an in-house restaurant that serves a buffet breakfast and a sit-down dinner. The buffet breakfast was very good altho everything except coffee and tea is cold; ie, don't expect a hot breakfast as part of the half-board. Dinners are restaurant quality entrees, as opposed to homestyle meals that are typically served at the Pensions. There is a snack bar on the beach that serves lunch.

There is no need to buy bottled water - the resort provides filtered water: all you need is a bottle to pour it into. If you get a garden bungalow like I did, there is no fridge in the room, so you will have to make do with drinking water that is not cold.

There were only two things that were, in my view, less than satisfactory: the shower water temperature has no adjustment and because it is solar-heated, it seemed to always come out a bit too hot. Granted I was told to let it run for a while, but I felt that to be wasteful. The second was that - as with any tropical locale that uses wood for construction - there were termite droppings in the room.

A word of advice for those planning to go soon: during the time we were there, mosquitoes were pretty active, and altho we were told that it was on the decline, we were warned about the mosquito-borne chikungunya virus. If you are planning to go anytime soon, be sure to bring mosquito repellent and long sleeves and pants.

I have written 2 trip reports on North Fakarava I believe this is the link to the most recent http://2sb.us/491826
This might be helpful. Keep your wife happy with your selection, as I did not. She compared one of our bungalows to her experience as a medical mission worker in Sierra Leon. I thought it was a bit severe and overstated but who wants unhappiness in paradise? I am going to Rangiroa next week. She's going on a ski trip to Vail.

• [h=6][/h]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom