Diving in moorea and fakarava

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I will be on a cruise ship and have the opportunity to dive in Moorea. Are there any good dive sites? My choices are: Canyons or the Ledges. This will be preceded by a week in fakarava where I will be diving with Dive Spirit for 3 days. If only mediocre I would gladly skip the diving in Moorea. Second question: Is top Dive operator in Fakarava recommended or avoided? I have one day I may dive with them. Lastly, any advice on diving South Pass Fakarava?

I dove Moorea but that was 14 years ago. It was the only island that I dove there so I can't offer any comparison. I enjoyed it due to the large number and diversity of the sharks we encountered as well as the nesting triggerfish that tried to take a bite out of my ample German leg when I swam into the cone of defense above its nest!

Moorea is only good for the Lemon Sharks and a few resident turtles. The sharks stay around you and offer great photo ops. The reef is pretty dead. I love the lemons so would dive just for them. Fakarava is fantastic. I dove with Top dive one day and they were ok. The boat was a little crowded and I think because of that they were trying to babysit too much. I have done most of my diving with Serge at Fakarava Dive Center. Very small groups and great service.

Thanks for the tips! I ended up not diving in Moorea but will enjoy myself fully with Divespirit and perhaps one day with Topdive and Fakarava dive center.

We dove Moorea (my second time) last month and had two great dives. Despite the condition of much of the coral, I got some great shots and none were of shark or turtles. Plenty of great macro material.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom