Planning a trip to Chuuk in late 2015 or early 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASA400

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys!

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Chuuk in late 2015 or early 2016. I was in Chuuk in 1988 but haven't been back since--so many other places to see!! Anyway, I'm thinking about booking on the Odessey but there haven't been any threads about the boat since 2009.

Has anyone been onboard recently? If so, how was the trip. I'm not planning on any real technical dives (I'm content with looking at wrecks, no so much into penetration), so am concerned that the guides might be more concerned with any double-tank/CCR people than someone like myself.

I went on Truk Odyssey in January 2013 and it was an excellent trip, even though I got into problems after the San Francisco Maru dive entirely due to my own fault. The boat is superb, the crew friendly and professional and the dives need no embellishment. January to March is probably the best time to go with mostly clear skies and great visibility.

If you decide to go ahead and are going alone, try to get one of the two single cabins - they are first come first served.

When I went, there was only one 2-Tanker diver but it made no difference to the priorities with the crew. They treated everyone with equal respect.

If you go, tell the black senior divemaster (Sam, I think) that he looks like Laurence Fishburne - he really does and likes people saying so :)

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I'm going alone or if one of my buddies at the LDS is going. All kind of depends on if he's got the $$$ or not.

You should go even if you are alone. Truk Lagoon is probably the only place on earth where you cannot have a bad dive from a visual point of view if you tried. If you can, arrive by Thursday (Truk Odyssey is a Sunday to Sunday liveaboard) and book into Blue Lagoon Dive Resort (the boat is moored nearby when it arrives). Register with the dive shop and get the local guide Estos to take you to some dives not covered by the liveaboard cruise - the wreck of Amagisan Maru, reef dive over Shark Point etc. But the most hair raising experience is a night dive over Heian Maru (this is covered by the boat trip but....) which is Estos' personal favourite, He has dived this wreck so often day and night that he knows every nook and cranny like the back of his hand. Providing you have courage and back-up lights, it will not take much to persuade Estos to take you to penetrate this wreck at night.... a truly adrenalin pumping experience!

The dive over Fujikawa Maru is nothing short of spectacular. The Odyssey does 2 dives over it, one day and the second at night. Arguably the greatest wreck dive in the world. Certainly my personal numero uno and I have dived a few wrecks.

Another great dive is the wreck of Nippo Maru. Watch out for a completely intact large china dish on the deck. Usually you can spot it like a beacon from 10m onwards. Some guides let you take photos of them 'riding' on the plate!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom