Palau Trip Oct 14-24, 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3DTex

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My spouse and I just returned from our second trip to Palau. We flew United to/from Houston/Honolulu/Guam/Koror. We dove with Sam’s in Apr 2011 and dove with them again this time. We did 17 dives in 6 days and they were all great. We also did a snorkel tour with Sam’s again on our last day before flying and it was great fun. Sam’s treated us first class and we’ll continue to use them for future visits. I couldn’t expect to be treated any better. We had great dive leads on each day with usually about 6 divers on average. We especially liked our guide Torsten who made being on the boat fun but was also very safety and professionally oriented. You couldn’t get a better dive lead.

We had many great dives but one of the highlights was the “Unique Dive” we signed up for that left out very early to go and experience the spawning of the Bumphead Parrot Fish. It was well worth the early rise and extra money. On other dives we were treated to a Manta Ray show at the German Channel and saw too many turtles and sharks to count. Our other great highlight is the coral at the Fairyland dive site. The name fits as it is beautiful and unreal. We dove 3 wrecks including the Iro where we encountered more Clown fish in one spot than we or our guides had ever seen. There were about 75–100 (seemed like 500)spread around one of the stacks. We hung around and videoed that for 15-20 minutes and hated to leave.

We stayed at the West Plaza Malakal as it is close to Sam’s and we wanted a kitchen. We had stayed at the Sea Passion before but were actually happier at the West Plaza. The rooms at both places are not 5 star but more like 3 star. However, the staff at West Plaza was very friendly and attentive and the cleaning crew came every day. We’ll stay there again.

We will definitely be going back to Palau in the future. It is a special place.

Slightly off topic...how was the HNL-GUA flight? That's part of my itinerary for my next trip to Palau. Usually I go on Delta, which is a much better itinerary (shorter, and fewer flights), but I had enough miles with United to get the ticket free this time. Particularly turbulent or anything? I also have heard that United uses its old planes for that leg, and for the flights from the US mainland to HNL, and that there is no entertainment system, and no outlets for charging ipads, lap tops.

What was your longest continuous time on a plane this trip?

Richard.

My spouse and I just returned from our second trip to Palau.

Really appreciate the trip report. I am determined to do Palau before my 3 year stint in Asia finishes, and definitely appreciate the tips on recommended ops and dives.

Slightly off topic...how was the HNL-GUA flight? That's part of my itinerary for my next trip to Palau. Usually I go on Delta, which is a much better itinerary (shorter, and fewer flights), but I had enough miles with United to get the ticket free this time. Particularly turbulent or anything? I also have heard that United uses its old planes for that leg, and for the flights from the US mainland to HNL, and that there is no entertainment system, and no outlets for charging ipads, lap tops.

When I did Truk a few years back I did GUA-HNL on the way back, and they definitely used an old clunker of a plane. One of my least uncomfortable super long haul flights ever (and I have done a lot). Conversely, on the way out I flew from Newark via Tokyo-Narita and down, and that was much more comfortable on much more modern planes. Definitely should have gone home the same way, and I'd certainly commend that alternative routing to you. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Just arrived in Honolulu on UA 200 from Guam --halfway home to Los Angeles! The Jetliner is an old Boeing 777, but at least has in-flight Wi-Fi Movie/TV Show selections that you can view on your tablet/laptop currently on a free intro trial-run (note: you gotta install the United App on your device before boarding the plane) . No power plug outlets yet at least in Economy. This flight leg of HNL/GUM is the longest United flight of my itinerary to Micronesia (Palau & Truk) at 7 hrs. The only major inconvenience coming back to mainland USA is going thru Immigration/Customs/TSA in Guam, and Customs/TSA again in Honolulu. . .

Was at Sams Tours Palau for first week of October, and Truk Stop Hotel Dive-ops for the rest of the month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom