Dress Code in Fiji?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I just looked at the back of my ticket on Fiji's AirPacific and I see that I am not to wear shorts, t-shirt, sandals... but slacks or trousers, a shirt with a collar and dress shoes with socks!

Yikes! Is this also the dress code in Fiji... I was expecting per some of the advice I had gotten to just be wearing swim trunks/shorts, t-shirts and sandals!

Will someone who knows please respond ASAP... I leave for the airport in a couple of hours. Vinaka.

http://www.moon.com/closer/fiji_customs.html

"Dress
It’s important to know that the dress code in Fiji is strict. Short shorts, halter tops, and bathing costumes in public shows a lack of respect, and in the context of a Fijian village it’s considered offensive: a sulu wrapped around you solves this one. Men should always wear a shirt in town, and women should wear dresses that adequately cover their legs while seated. Nothing will mark you so quickly as a tourist nor make you more popular with street vendors than scanty dress. Of course, there is a place for it: on the beach in front of a resort hotel. In a society where even bathing suits are considered extremely risqué for local women, public nudity is unthinkable, and topless sunbathing by women is also banned in Fiji (except at isolated island resorts)."

There's some other stuff in there about customs and such. Definately worth the read.

Another source. Sounds like you just have to be concerned about the flight

"Dress is casual and informal throughout the islands. Visitors should bring a light tropical clothing including slacks for evenings. The wraparound "sulu" (sarong) is Fiji's most distinctive form of dress for women and men. Businessmen and government employees will often be seen wearing a suit-style "sulu"."

http://wired-destinations.com/guide/Fiji/travel/

BTW, if you are hoping to ask anyone from around that area in this post, they arent up yet. Of course some Americans might have flown there and know, but the locals would be best to ask - just a tad early for them :wink:

I lived in Fiji back in the late 1980's....in the resorts (which I, as a poor Peace Corps worker didn't get into often!) you can wear pretty much what you want. In town, regular shorts & a t-shirt are fine in most places....you might want a button shirt if you go somewhere nice. Sandals are okay just about everywhere, although the cheap "flip flops" might not be appropriate/allowed in some night clubs & restaurants. The big fashion "faux pas" I saw among European & American tourists back then was walking into a pizza hut or whatever wearing a bikini only. Nobody says anything TO the offenders, but the locals don't really like it. Ummm...what else? In the villages (as opposed to the cities like Suva & Nadi) they prefer that the women wear a sarong (like a skirt sort of thing you can wrap around your legs.) If you go to church, it's appropriate to wear long pants & a "real" shirt. Anyhow, it's pretty hot there, so the dress is mostly casual. I only took a local airline once while there, and I can't remember what I wore....I'd probably (myself) risk it & show up in shorts & a t-shirt, but with long pants & a button shirt close at hand in case they asked me to change. Others without such an aversion to real clothes can just wear them to begin with....I HATE wearing long pants in hot/tropical climates!
Hope you enjoy your trip...I'll have to get back there one of these days before I forget ALL my Fijian! Watch out for the sword sellers (if they're still around....)...you don't have to buy anything from them.

Well I'm glad that I brough long pants and a *real* shirt! I'm wearing them right now and getting ready to go to Church... and yes... it is hot... almost to hot for a PNWer.

I will be posting more in the Uncle Pug goes to Fiji thread as I get an opportunity. Connectivity can be had for a price... the Sheraton in Nandi wanted $44 for one hour... so I waited until arriving at Savusavu and the Korosun Resort where they are letting me use their broad band.

Uncle Pug:
Well I'm glad that I brough long pants and a *real* shirt! I'm wearing them right now and getting ready to go to Church... and yes... it is hot... almost to hot for a PNWer.

I will be posting more in the Uncle Pug goes to Fiji thread as I get an opportunity. Connectivity can be had for a price... the Sheraton in Nandi wanted $44 for one hour... so I waited until arriving at Savusavu and the Korosun Resort where they are letting me use their broad band.

Wow, your Avatar appears as if you've already had too much Kava!

Dive Safe,
Caymanaic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom