hey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

livefish

Reaction score
hey, im new to scubaboard. iam also new to scuba diving. i am doing this for my senior project and i actually want to become a certified divemaster. i need all the information i can get my hands on because i am still in the process of learning. i live near the puget sound of washington so what is the best gear for me, where to get it and what is the best beginner open water dive class i can take. i know that it is very expensive but i want to head into this prepared. who can help?
michelle :11:

The first step is to visit several dive shops and talk with their instructors. Finding a good instructor that you "click" with is pretty important when it comes to getting a good education as well as a certification.

Second, the only gear you will need to buy to start is a mask, snorkel, booties and fins. The rest should be included in the price of the Open Water class. After you get certified, you will be better off renting for a while to see what gear works best for you.

livefish:
hey, im new to scubaboard. iam also new to scuba diving. i am doing this for my senior project and i actually want to become a certified divemaster. i need all the information i can get my hands on because i am still in the process of learning. i live near the puget sound of washington so what is the best gear for me, where to get it and what is the best beginner open water dive class i can take. i know that it is very expensive but i want to head into this prepared. who can help?
michelle :11:
There are several good shops in the area that can help you get started ... it would help to know where in the Puget Sound area you live. I can probably provide some recommendations based on that info.

One thing you should know is that becoming a divemaster is not an inexpensive process ... the higher up you go with your training, the more expensive it becomes.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

you are in the right place, welcome to the board!

Welcome to the ScubaBoard and welcome to diving! My son completed his Sr. Project last year by becoming certified as an Open Water Diver. We capped off his certification with a week-long trip diving in Maui. I'd be happy to share some of his experience(s) with you if you PM (Personal Message) me.

My advice is take it slow. You don't want to be come a Divemaster right out of the gate. Take OW, Advanced and Rescue and learn everything you can during those classes. Ask a lot of questions and do a lot of diving to put into practice what you learned. You will be a better Divemaster in the long run if you take your time building up experience before the DM class.

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to SB. The advice you've gotten so far is on target. In particular, finding an instructor with whom you can communicate and who takes the time to ensure you understand things in depth (no pun intended :) )

Here are some shop lists in this region, not sure which ones might be closest to your location (these lists may not be comprehensive or even up to date..., but the sites have some things to offer you):

http://www.nwdivenews.com/node/view/36

http://www.pnwscuba.com/diveshops.htm

Be sure to talk to at least three or four instructors,...get a feel for the dive shops, compare prices, and see who answers your questions in a way that makes you feel as if they're paying attention to you. (Be advised that the person behind the counter when you walk in may not be an instructor. You need to discuss the open water certification course separately with a shop instructor to see how the instructor comes across.)

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, compatability does not end with your instructor. You also want to find dive buddies who are compatible with you, who will stick beside you and dive together with you. They aren't always easy to find. But its important to work toward that goal: never dive alone. Especially as a new diver, ...never dive alone.

Best of luck and dive safe,

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom