Moving to Seattle Spring/Summer 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermike1011

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone. My wife and I are finishing up my tour here in Hawaii and are looking forward to the day when I can hang up my uniform and we can finally move to Seattle. I've been looking around this forum in particular and can already see there are a ton of great diving resources! I'm currently AOW/Nitorx certified with PADI and am taking PADI Rescue Diver next week, and I'm really excited. My goal once we settle in is to hopefully get a job at a dive shop while I figure out what I want to do as I am looking to change careers from what I used to do in the navy and I don't want to go back to school until I have a better sense of a field to study. One of the best things I did in the navy was to serve as an instructor at "C" school (follow on technical school) and since I love teaching and diving I'd like to combine the two. I don't know if I'll have time to complete my Divemaster before I leave Oahu, but I am guessing that it will make it far easier to get a job at a dive shop then without it.

Can't wait to get to the PNW!

Michael

Welcome, Michael! The diving up here is amazing! There is no place like it anywhere in the world. We have a ton of great dive sites throughout the Puget Sound and up in BC. There are also a lot of good shops around the Seattle area, too. The diving community here is amazing and we're always looking to expand our 'membership'. You're gonna love it up here. :D

Thanks for the welcome! I'll definitely check out nwdiveclub.com.

Welcome in advance to PNW diving! Seattle is a wonderful place to be a diver, with good shore diving available virtually 365 days a year. Give us a holler when you get here, and we'll be delighted to take you out and show you around!

Michael: I echo the welcome of others. As a broken down old sailor myself, I would love to show you some of the dive sites we have.
- Curt

Thanks Curt, I'm looking forward to PCSing to CIVPAC soon. I've really learned a lot from the Navy, but I'm ready to let someone else go on deployments and never be home, and so is my wife! I'll post better dates once I know them, just waiting on some medical stuff at the moment.

Michael

Welcome Michael- don't expect much above minimun wages at dive shops in seattle- there is always a bit of turnover and more then a few shops have closed the last few years.

TSC:

Thanks for the heads up. I've been mentally preparing myself for not making a whole lot in the beginning and I imagine with the economy dive shops have been hit pretty hard. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but I'll give it a go if I can.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom