Tide App for Puget Sound?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeahorseDeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a tide app for Puget Sound and am looking for recommendations from those who dive the area. I have the iphone 5, and it would be of immense help if it also told me when the waters in our local lakes settle down and offer more than 10ft of viz :D
Thankyou!!!!

I just use the browser and call up dairiki.org

I use USA Tides Free on my iPad but it also works on iPhone. It's not the most amazing app ever, but it has accurate information for both currents and tides. Here's the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/usa-tides-free/id465814696?mt=8

Besides the dairiki.org/tides site that Lynne mentioned above, planyourdive.com is also pretty helpful especially its search function that lets you find when the good currents are for sites that require particular conditions. For example, you can find out when the smallest exchanges will be on weekends for the next few months at Day Island Wall.

I like "dairiki.org." I can get that month-in-a-glance view....I won't need to necessarily reach out now to forum members....ok....yes....Thankyou Lynne you have singlehandedly helped me plan my whole summer of diving... But in all honesty, I didn't know where to go and this webpage is super smooth. Even though it has a disclaimer at the beginning I feel it's idiot proof unless I was blind.

---------- Post added April 19th, 2014 at 10:05 PM ----------

I use USA Tides Free on my iPad but it also works on iPhone. It's not the most amazing app ever, but it has accurate information for both currents and tides. Here's the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/usa-tides-free/id465814696?mt=8

Besides the dairiki.org/tides site that Lynne mentioned above, planyourdive.com is also pretty helpful especially its search function that lets you find when the good currents are for sites that require particular conditions. For example, you can find out when the smallest exchanges will be on weekends for the next few months at Day Island Wall.

I haven't dove in any areas that are sensitive to current unless I'm on a boat, and I let the captain tell us what to do on the current and he's always been correct. I am definately interested in learning about the currents on my own though!! To be a diver to me means I'm always a student of learning!!! I downloaded the app and it looks very detailed--I like that!

Thankyou both for the suggestions!

Even though it has a disclaimer at the beginning I feel it's idiot proof unless I was blind.

The dairiki site and others are based on xtide which is an open source program that implements the same algorithms as NOAA uses for its own publications. But because they're free and not backed by the government or another organization, they can't really offer any sort of guarantee of correctness. Even NOAA's tidal current tables have a disclaimer that they haven't been vetted for guaranteed correctness as published on that website, but I suppose you could always check against both sources if you really want to corroborate current predictions.

Predictions are just that - they are not always precise. In a site where the current is critical, it is always good to get there a little early and watch what the water is doing before getting in. We did a dive at Deception Pass last year where the calculated time was about 15 minutes early for actual slack, and the divers got their butts handed to them until the current dropped.

I use AyeTides XL. Very nice, and you can use it with smart phone GPS and Google maps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is use an app called "Tide Graph". You can choose Tides or Currents. It's uses the info from Tide Stations around the US and is pretty decent. I've been using it for several years. You can also pay $3.99 for the "pro" version.

Back
Top Bottom