PNW: Gotta go HERE....or be mocked mercilessly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigTex1836

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Howdy

I'll be traveling to the Tacoma area on business in either June or July (will book later this week) and plan on coming in early for a few days of diving (2-3). It will be my first time diving the PNW after putting in a few hundred Caribbean dives over the many years. (oh yes, drysuit will be with me :D) I've been reading up on a few locations all over the area from Edmonds, SJI, Seattle, Hood Canal, etc and am thoroughly perplexed. :confused: Given only 2-3 diving days and no qualms over the mileage put on the rental car at the end of each day :auto: .....what are the must do dive locations in WA? I'm looking for the sites that if I mentioned my trip to a PNW diver at some later time, they wouldn't be mocking me over my site selection as I missed "The" site of go to. :banghead:

The same question exists for OR as well since I will be coming to Portland later in the summer and plan on getting in a few days on that trip as well. So recommendations in that direction would be great also. :)

Thanks
Eric

Howdy

I'll be traveling to the Tacoma area on business in either June or July (will book later this week) and plan on coming in early for a few days of diving (2-3). It will be my first time diving the PNW after putting in a few hundred Caribbean dives over the many years. (oh yes, drysuit will be with me :D) I've been reading up on a few locations all over the area from Edmonds, SJI, Seattle, Hood Canal, etc and am thoroughly perplexed. :confused: Given only 2-3 diving days and no qualms over the mileage put on the rental car at the end of each day :auto: .....what are the must do dive locations in WA? I'm looking for the sites that if I mentioned my trip to a PNW diver at some later time, they wouldn't be mocking me over my site selection as I missed "The" site of go to. :banghead:

The same question exists for OR as well since I will be coming to Portland later in the summer and plan on getting in a few days on that trip as well. So recommendations in that direction would be great also. :)

Thanks
Eric

No brainer (for me). . . Hood Canal: Sund Rock, Mike's Beach, Octopus Hole

Three nice days of diving

If you're there over a weekend, try and hook up with Pacific Adventure Pacific Adventure Hood Canal dive sites Really great captain, nice easy boat dives, no pressure, maximum enjoyment

When you get to Portland, I'd go back up to Hood Canal and re-dive the same spots :D

If you have never dived in the Pacific Northwest before, make your life easy and do some easy sites. Many of our iconic species (GPOs, wolf eels) are often easy to find at sites that aren't difficult to dive.

A lot of what is even possible for you to do will depend on your dates. We have some lovely sites, like Day Island Wall, that are only accessible on days with very small exchanges. If you end up here on dates where the tidal exchanges are very large, it will limit your possibilities.

What you can do from a boat is greater than what you can do from shore, so if you are okay with charters, we have the Bandito boat out of Tacoma (Sunrise, Sees Reef), the Ocean Quest out of DeMoines (Waterman's Wall), the PacAdventures boat out of Hood Canal (the Pulali Point Pinnacle), or LuJacs's Quest out of Anacortes to the San Juana.

Check the tides for the days you're planning to dive ... they will determine which sites are available. The best sites are usually the ones that are very current-sensitive, and therefore must be carefully timed on anything but the lowest of tidal exchanges.

Since you're going to be in the Tacoma area, check with Bandito charters and see if you can make it out to Sunrise ... it's a guarantee to see giant pacific octopus and wolf eels, as well as a bunch of other colorful stuff.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For an easy any-time dive where you're sure to see a lot of our local critters, you can't beat Redondo. There's always at least one giant pacific octopus to be found; last time we went there were three within easy reach. There's also the occasional wolf eel, and lots of nudibranchs etc. How much you see there depends on how deep you go, but most all the good stuff is above 90 feet.

You can find more buddies/guides than you will know what to do with by posting your question at Northwest Dive Club ? Index page Hopefully I'll see you there!

Thanks everyone. Also, I registered at NDC...will read there a bit then post.
Thanks again
Eric

Double check, I believe Bandito may have repositioned for the warmer months up to Anacortes.

Back
Top Bottom