Question for PNW divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cb5150

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll start off by saying this is probably a dumb question...

Those of us that dive the warm Southern US and Caribbean waters frequently see sharks on our dives. In fact, it's often considered the highlight of our dive to have shark encounters. Do you folks who dive the colder PNW waters ever see Orcas when you're diving? I would think Orcas would be considered more dangerous due to their intelligence and size. I would love to hear that they are like most sharks and simply ignore divers. Another creature to respect and be cautious around, but nothing to worry about...am I wrong?

I've never heard of anyone seeing Orcas underwater. I have seen them from a boat.

In normal circumstances it seems to me that it is extremely rare, if not impossible, to see orcas while diving, unless you organize an expedition that focuses on diving with that specific marine animals.(Miracles happen, though, like the one in California when two divers encountered a gray whale!). I have seen underwater videos of orcas so I assume that a diver must have shot the footage unless the camera was operated from a boat. The orcas were not interested in the camera and minded their business. As far as I know dive charters in BC would take you to snorkel with dolphins but I have never read or heard about specific trips that would take you to dive with orcas.

Rare, but it happens. If you check out the September, 2013 issue of Pacific Northwest Diver there is a shot taken by Ken Gatherum on a dive. There are several other folks I know who have photos of them. It is possible to dive with orcas in northern Norway.

You also need to realize there are several types of orca: resident, transient, and pelagic. Not sure I would hop in the water with pelagic, as these are the guys who take out great whites and whales. I have seen them take out a large stellar sea lion, and it reminded me of a big cat culling an individual antelope from the herd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom