PNW Divers: What do you want in your dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tacoma Lighthouse

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'll be honest here. I'm looking for ammunition to shoot at my boss!

He knows what he wants in his store, and I know what I want in a store. Neither of us can completely agree, so I'll ask here to get some more opinions.

What I'm looking for are "near" specifics.

Let's say someone says "drysuits". Well there are a ton of types out there. What I consider "near specific" is--high quality trilam with silicone seals-- or -- thick cheap neoprene work suits-- or any variety that you like

Another example: BCD's--? Vest, back inflate, plate and harness, weight integrated, travel, etc...

Here's a list of ideas for you:

Drysuits
Wetsuits
Regulators
Lights
Fins
Masks
Cameras
Bags
Gloves
Boots
BCDs
Spearguns
Hard Accessories
Soft Accessories
Undergarments

I'm sure there are many more that I have missed, so please tell me about them.

Tim

Too bad you aren't up north. What we are missing nowadays is a shop that is friendly to and carries what the DIR or technical diver wants. A place where I can pick up good boltsnaps, cave line, bungie, and harness webbing. A place that carries a variety of backup-type lights. A place that has a variety of LP and HP hose lengths. A place that BANKS 32% and do trimix fills. Since Scott Christopher left, we've been rudderless up at the north end. Doesn't help you much for Tacoma, though, because Tacoma Scuba has those things.

TSandM,

If you pester Jason at our Seattle store (Lake City Way) he may be able to get you some of what you are looking for. I know he does some gas blending there and has some commercial hardware and webbing. His store number is 206-524-1633.

That "Place" down the road from me does have the Tech crowd in the Tacoma area until you get to Hoodsport. Josh is a good guy though. We met at DEMA this year.

I'll push to get a little more technical stuff here though. I'm going in that direction personally, but all of the company tech instructors are up north, and I haven't decided if I want to go tech through PADI or NAUI yet. Maybe I'll just do both and keep my dual instructorship going.

Tim

Maybe I'm a little biased, but I think if you're selling dry suits, you should be selling talcum powder so your customers can take care of their latex seals.

Hahaha! A little bias? I do agree, and I do sell powder as well as silicone spray.

Dry glove systems. Have several on hand in the shop, so people can see how the different ones work.

I know from my experience, once I got my basic gear sorted (BC, regulator) what I've spent money on over the years is: a) Undergarments, because somebody is always coming out with something they tout is way better, and I'm a sucker for the prospect of being warm; b) fins, because no fin is perfect, although the Power Planas might be if they came in something other than black; c) backup lights, because somebody is always coming out with something touted as being brighter, having more burn time, being more durable, or being cheaper; d) small stuff, like glove liners and socks, that nobody seems to carry at all.

Too bad you aren't up north. What we are missing nowadays is a shop that is friendly to and carries what the DIR or technical diver wants. A place where I can pick up good boltsnaps, cave line, bungie, and harness webbing. A place that carries a variety of backup-type lights. A place that has a variety of LP and HP hose lengths. A place that BANKS 32% and do trimix fills. Since Scott Christopher left, we've been rudderless up at the north end. Doesn't help you much for Tacoma, though, because Tacoma Scuba has those things.

LOL Lynne, Black Friday must be your lucky day, it looks like your prayers got answered and just got you were looking for :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom