Harvey Schmiedeke passed away this afternoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgeldin

California Ships To Reef
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Harvey Schmiedeke passed away this afternoon in Catalina - around 1:10pm. The information we have is that he had just completed a dive on Ship Rock. It is believed he may have suffered a heart attack. It is anticipated that services will be early next week, but no information is available at this time.

Harvey was one of the original incorporators of California Ships to Reefs (CSTR) and served as Senior Vice President and Board Member from November 2006 through November 2008. He was Founder and Past President, as well as Vice President of Sunken Treasures Society of Los Angeles, one of CSTR's original sink groups. Harvey was also a Certified Management Consultant, President and Founder of Survival Strategies of Burbank. He was an avid diver and boater and shared his videos of dive sites all over the world. Harvey said his "secret ingredient" was his faith, Scientology.

Although his business interests required him to step back from an active role in California Ships to Reefs, his leadership and guidance in both organizations will be sorely missed. The Board of Directors, Members and Volunteers of California Ships to Reefs wish to express their heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Harvey Schmiedeke.

Joel Geldin, Chairman and CEO
California Ships to Reefs

He will be missed! I hope his work will continue, as this is the best way to honor him and his dedication to the sport and the Ocean he loved! Sorry to hear it, but he was where he wanted to be I am sure!

Harvey's funeral was held last Saturday. It was attended by hundreds of friends and family. All of those who spoke mentioned Harvey's love of the ocean and diving. Andy Lee Vice-Chairman of California Ships to Reefs and the President of Sunken Treasures Society of Los Angeles spoke specifically of Harvey's leadership in the Ships to Reefs movement.

After the funeral I got a chance to meet Jesper. I introduced him to Eleanore and Dean Rewerts, members of the California Ships to Reefs board who had flown in from Northern California to attend the memorial and Andy Lee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom