Ben McDaniels - Missing at Vortex Springs 8-20-2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
To the family and friends of Ben McDaniels,

I know that there is nothing that can be said that will take away the pain you are going through right now. All I can do is offer you my sincerest condolences on the loss of Ben.

It is a sad day for the entire diving community and my heart goes out to all of you.

Sincerely,
Larry H.

:heart::heart:

He made everybody laugh and he loved his family and God.

Very sad. Thoughts to all involved.

I did not know Ben McDaniels, but am friends with many who did. As such, I am saddened at their loss and moved by their passion and the memories and stories they have shared, both privately and publicly on forums such as this. As the community here in Memphis copes with this tragedy, I feel that several thanks are in order.

First, to everyone involved in the recovery effort, there are not words to adequately express the gratitude which you are owed, so I will not try. You are a remarkable group, and I commend you as many others have and as many more will in the future.

Second, to the ScubaBoard community, for tolerating the presence of the many tourists, like myself, who have infiltrated this forum during the past few days. Your willingness to explain the basics of scuba and overhead diving is much appreciated as friends and family try to understand and gain closure. The fine line that every contributor has walked between cold, methodical analysis of the situation and genuine care is also to be commended. That is a hard line to walk, and you have all walked it with grace.

I understand that Ben started a foundation benefiting organ donation, and I am sure that many will be moved to donate to that organization on his behalf and in his memory. That is a wonderful thing. Given the circumstances of this accident, I also believe that the rescue community and ScubaBoard itself are also worthy of any donation we might be able to make.

I encourage anyone more knowledgeable than myself to add additional details, but it is my understanding that International Underwater Cave Rescue and Recovery (IUCRR) conducts nearly all rescue operations of this sort. The organization is a non-profit, and its administration and certified divers are all volunteer. Its Web site is http://iucrr.org/ If anyone knows a public snail-mail address where donations to this organization can be made, or if they accept donations via Paypal, please let us know.

I've also become aware that ScubaBoard itself is currently in the process of having to defend itself against what is, in my opinion, a frivolous lawsuit. After reading the plaintiff's accusations, I believe everyone who benefits from this, and any, Internet forum should consider donating to the defense. It is vital that forums such as this continue to be a place where information can be exchanged freely, openly, honestly, and in a timely matter. The service Scubaboard has rendered to Ben's friends and family is invaluable, and if the lawsuit is lost, it could have ripple effects on future cases involving freedom of speech on the Net. Do not take these freedoms for granted. I have copied a signature button used by several regular contributors here whereby anyone who chooses so can donate via Paypal directly to the defense.

As I've said, I did not know Ben, but I have been moved by the portrait his friends paint of him, and by their grief and loss. My heart goes out to each and every one of you. And for providing such a valuable service to people I care about deeply, I extend my sincerest gratitude to the members of this forum and the rescue community.

Datta. Dayadhvam. Damyata.
Shantih shantih shantih

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben, I'm sad we never got a chance to dive together. I've missed you so much since you moved to FL. I'll never forget you. I love you and miss you dear friend.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Ben's family and friend.

The diving community lost one of it's own, with Ben's passing. Our hearts are heavy, and prayers go out to the family and friends of Ben.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom