Neville Coleman farewell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowlofpetunias

Oh no, not again!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sad day today as Neville Coleman has gone on ahead to explore the oceans we can not yet reach. He passed away this morning, peacefully we are told. His contributions to the dive community in the form of his books, articles, and Marine Id Apps will continue to enrich and educate all of us who share his love of the ocean and the creatures in it.

Thank you for your patience in responding to my questions and the encouragement you gave me in all our interactions. May your new seas always be calm and warm with perfect viz

Condolences to his family and loved ones and all those who will never get to interact with him other than through his books and pictures

How sad. Neville was a real "character" with an unquenchable fascination for marine life, and in particular nudibranchs. I have autographed copies of several of his books and always looked forward to meeting and chatting with him at regional dive shows.

RIP, Neville.

Oh! RIP Neville, he contributed such a wonderful amount to our knowledge of the ocean, a sad day indeed.

Probably did more for marine conservation in Australia and the South Pacific than any single other person. I was lucky to dive with him at Heron Island in 1989. Sadly missed.

RIP Neville, I really wish I could have met him. I too have several of his books and he also confirmed the ID a few of my "unknown" species of nudibranchs.

It is a sad day, I didn't know of his passing until reading it here. I would have loved to have met him.

Very sad to hear of one of my hero's passing. I met him on an ID course in Jervis Bay south of Sydney in 1979 and a couple of times after that where we had a chance to chat.

There are few people you can call great that you meet in this life but Neville was one of them. Took himself by the shoelaces of no education and raised himself to the point of being respected by scientists and the general diving public. The species that are named after him, his books and his photographic ID collection will live on a ensure a level of immortality for this humble and great man.

My life got a little shallower today as Neville took the deep dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom