RIP Dr Eugenie Clark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clownfishsydney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Famed diver, marine biologist and underwater explorer, Dr Eugenie Clark died yesterday. She was 92. Commonly known as "The Shark Lady", she spent over 70 years studying sharks and the marine environment and educating the public about the wonders of the underwater world.

I once got to see her talk in Sydney, she was fantastic even though she was well into her 80s at the time. She will be greatly missed.

See Eugenie Clark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information about this amazing woman.

Another legend passes. Will we ever see the like of giants like her again? RIP Doctor Clark you leave BIG fins to fill.

My grandparents and parents both had homes in Sarasota FL (home of Mote Marine Lab) dating back to the mid-1960s so I'd occasionally head over to the lab to see what was up (before and after the Siesta Key hurricane damage). Sad to see another legend depart, but she lived a very full and rewarding life.

I was a student of hers back in the mid 80's and did some research diving with her up until the early 90's. It's hard to express in words what she meant to the marine environment and the world as a whole. It was a privilege to know her... there is a link at the end of this article if anyone wants to write a condolence and/or make a donation to her lab.

https://mote.org/news/article/shark...away-after-nearly-75-years-of-marine-research

A great scientist and an inspiration for more women to get involved in science. I wondered how she felt about Mote Lab's involvement with OCearch and the great whites but never asked.

Dr Clark was a huge influence on me through her books I read as a kid.
She was a ambassador for the misunderstood of the sea.
I offer my thoughts and prayers and thanks to a life, a legacy well lived!
Be at peace.

CamG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom