The Official Topic Suggestions Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottyK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I was BSing with Xjae, who suggested that more threads and posts would help attract more interest in the club.......

Sounds logical to me :cheer:

Rather than posting a bunch of threads on my own, without any idea what our members might or might not find interesting, I'm going to ask for suggestions from everyone. A particular topic need not interest everybody, but I want to see if at least a few people like it so it doesn't drop dead after two or three posts :D

Here are a few suggestions from me, some of which I've come up with after reading whats already been written:

A where to go, this place was great thread. Did you find a great spot, or a great boat trip you want to share? Pony up the driving directions and compass headings :wink: Got this one from Vternovski when he mentioned liking a particular area at Dutch Springs. Thanks Vadim!

Compliments of Docmartins post, a required/recommended reading thread. We can discuss or ask about books pertaining to our local area. This would also be a good place to post links to any online articles or websites of local interest. Thanks Martin!

A "Buddy Board" (this one is my idea :) ) This should not be confused with the "lets go diving thread". It's not for "I'm going here, who can come?" This will be a thread for local divers who are looking for a long term buddy to form a real dive team. Members can post things like skill level, prefered dive conditions etc, and hopefully find a match.

We obviously will eventually need FAQ and club rules sticky sections. We'll probably need to wait until we actually get asked some questions and have some rules though :D

I've got some more ideas, but don't want to overdue it right off the bat . We've got a long winter ahead us to "Cyber Dive" together.

Any feedback on what I have so far, and new ideas are welcome.

Regards,
Scott

How about a thread discusing some LDS in the area?

Mention where they are.
Why you like them.
Perhaps even some prices on fills and such?
Someone who works there that is a good to deal with?
Good experiences?
Bad experiences?
Maybe specials or something? I am not talking about advertising for a LDS. Just a thread so people can get to know what LDSes are around and why you like them.

It is just a thought.
Ben

I like the LDS thread idea.
I move around so often that by the time I find a shop I like through trial and error it's time to go again. A thread like that could cut down on my hunting time.
Boats

great ideas. i would find the lds thread very useful, too. in this context, i would also ask that members reveal any lds associations they may have. for one, it would put their comments in perspective and maybe we can get a discount :)

hambleto once bubbled...
How about a thread discusing some LDS in the area?

I like that idea!!!

We could also have a thread about boats in the area - I've heard of a new one out of LBI and theres some of our old favorites!

Third (and last) beach diving - for those of us who'd like to save a few pennies and get in more diving :D Beach or inlet diving would be a good thread.

OK- sounds like everyone wants what I originally suggested + an LDS thread.

Sounds good! :D

One word of caution. Be CAREFUL what get's posted on the LDS thread. It would be prudent to post positive stuff, and leave any serious negatives for PM's or times when we get together.

I also post on some aquarium related boards. A couple of folks there were smacking down on a retail aquarium. My opinion was that the complaints were legitimate, but remember, there's a difference between knowing something is true and proving it in court.

Long story short, the place took not only the website, but a bunch of regular folks like us to court for slander. It dragged on for over a year, and they wound up having to pay a settlement and publicly recant their statements on every board they participated in.

It wasn't pretty :upset: I actually know one of the guys, and eating a sh*t sandwich on a public board and losing a couple of thousand dollars wasn't worth it.

Scott

I agree competely. I would never slander a dive shop (or any other business) by name in a public forum such as this. That is why I wanted it as a place to list some different LDS and some general info about them.

Like I deal with an LDS here called xy diving (I am making that up). I would post the address, maybe the URL if they have one and that I deal with the owner (insert name here).

You might look at it and go, I live near there. I had no idea there was a LDS there! I've been driving across town all the time. That is all.
Ben

hambleto once bubbled...

Like I deal with an LDS here called xy diving (I am making that up). I would post the address, maybe the URL if they have one and that I deal with the owner (insert name here).

Exactly! If your so called XY diving has great service, but terrible instructors, just mention the great service. If someone then wants to get in depth with you about the place, they can PM you for more info.

this is great, a thread about threads. :)

all those ideas sound good to me.
start 'um up.

i was thinking of starting one that details the wrecks.
name, age, resting place, how it got there, etc.

Back
Top Bottom