Looking to dive Dutch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyramid65

Contributor
Reaction score
OW, AOW & Nitrox certs, currently have 12 dives but look'in to change that...Either Saturdays or Sundays, or both camping there.

I applaud you for wanting to get more experience. The fact that someone can have OW, AOW and nitrox certs with a total of 12 dives is disheartening.

Go to the student side and join up with a group in about the same position.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

I am planning on going Saturday and my buddy backed out I am trying to find someone to dive with. I have about as many dives as you and aow but no nitrox. Let me know if you want to meet up I don't want to miss out this weekend.

I applaud you for wanting to get more experience. The fact that someone can have OW, AOW and nitrox certs with a total of 12 dives is disheartening.

Go to the student side and join up with a group in about the same position.

Why disheartening??? I got my OW with 5 dives with SSI, switched over to PADI and did the AOW class, 2 of those 5 dives with Nitrox, took the academics and the written test so I'm certified, I may as well throw in that I'm one dive away from my Wreck cert as well....I see nothing wrong with learning everything there is to learn about the sport.I'm quite sure my Instructors are confident enough in my abilities to allow my education to continue.I suppose the fact that I'll be taking the PADI Deep, PPB & Rescue classes over the next couple of weeks would really freak ya out...I would rather dive with those that have more experience for a couple reasons, 1) Just from a safety point of view although I don't see myself as an unsafe diver, quite the contrary, I was a lifeguard for years so I know my way around water, the only difference is now I'm not holding my breath and 2) I stand to gain a lot more knowledge diving with more experienced divers than I would with "students". My last 2 dives were on a charter off the Jersey coast with a boat full of experienced divers, they weren't bent (pun intended) to have me with them, quite the opposite.So...ya wanna dive???

---------- Post added July 25th, 2014 at 11:07 AM ----------

This weekend I can only do Sunday Joe

Why disheartening??? I got my OW with 5 dives with SSI, switched over to PADI and did the AOW class, 2 of those 5 dives with Nitrox, took the academics and the written test so I'm certified, I may as well throw in that I'm one dive away from my Wreck cert as well....I see nothing wrong with learning everything there is to learn about the sport.

I guess that's my concern. You can't learn everything there is to learn about the sport from a few books and instructors. It takes experience. And I do not mean to insult you at all. You might be a fantastic diver who takes to it naturally. It is the training organizations I have a problem with. If you had stayed with SSI, you would not be certified as AOW yet. It takes 25 dives before they will anoint you. I think that's a reasonable approach and I wish PADI and NAUI would follow suit.

I will probably be at Dutch on Sunday, but I will be peninsula side working out some kinks in the rebreather.

kwinter - I was thinking this is the perfect spot for Pyramid65 to post looking for dive buddies of his same caliber.

I was also thinking your comment may be best served on the Basic or Advanced Scuba Discussion - that way you can rant all you want in general terms about the demise of new divers and their skills according to you. But I was thinking you don't want to limit someone who is trying to improve their skills in what I believe is the correct forum. He was looking for a dive partner not a critique of his approach to his skill level or certifications achieved.

oh well...:D my 2 cents - Pyramid65 - I applaud your desire to further your diving skills and training - keep on going...

kwinter - I was thinking this is the perfect spot for Pyramid65 to post looking for dive buddies of his same caliber.

I was also thinking your comment may be best served on the Basic or Advanced Scuba Discussion - that way you can rant all you want in general terms about the demise of new divers and their skills according to you. But I was thinking you don't want to limit someone who is trying to improve their skills in what I believe is the correct forum. He was looking for a dive partner not a critique of his approach to his skill level or certifications achieved.

oh well...:D my 2 cents - Pyramid65 - I applaud your desire to further your diving skills and training - keep on going...

Not sure what put the bug up your butt, dickhead. I did not say one thing to criticize the skills of the OP or new divers in general. I said nothing that would limit someone who is trying to improve his skills. And there was not one word said that was a critique of his approach to his skill level.

What I did criticize was the way certain training organizations are more interested in taking money for classes with artificially designed certification criteria than in emphasizing the benefit of experience over more certifications. And unless the OP purposely switched from SSI training to PADI in order to bypass the experience requirement for AOW status, then my critique of the organization is no reflection on him at all.

As for where I posted my comment, I answered his question directly by telling him where he could go at Dutch to find gaggles of people at his level always willing to tack on another soul. And I also told him I would be there, but in the other side just in case he wanted to come over and say hi. I usually like meeting other divers, especially ones who are just starting out. But I can make an exception in your case. My post was appropriately placed, even if you think my comments about PADI and NAUI were not.

So just keep making all those 10 foot dives at the Manesquan bridge and L street. It's a great way to perfect buoyancy.

Not sure what put the bug up your butt, dickhead. I did not say one thing to criticize the skills of the OP or new divers in general. I said nothing that would limit someone who is trying to improve his skills. And there was not one word said that was a critique of his approach to his skill level.

What I did criticize was the way certain training organizations are more interested in taking money for classes with artificially designed certification criteria than in emphasizing the benefit of experience over more certifications. And unless the OP purposely switched from SSI training to PADI in order to bypass the experience requirement for AOW status, then my critique of the organization is no reflection on him at all.

As for where I posted my comment, I answered his question directly by telling him where he could go at Dutch to find gaggles of people at his level always willing to tack on another soul. And I also told him I would be there, but in the other side just in case he wanted to come over and say hi. I usually like meeting other divers, especially ones who are just starting out. But I can make an exception in your case. My post was appropriately placed, even if you think my comments about PADI and NAUI were not.

So just keep making all those 10 foot dives at the Manesquan bridge and L street. It's a great way to perfect buoyancy.

Wow I think I feel offended... lol - there is a Grumpy Old Men section you may want to post to... Have fun at Dutch...

I switched from SSI to PADI because I was not happy with the SSI shop and there is another dive shop, the PADI shop right around the corner from me.I view the PADI AOW as an intro to their specialties which it is and nothing more.Now that I've completed one dive in each of 5 specialties, I want more, that doesn't mean my nose is stuck in a book or I'm sitting in a classroom.Although as soon as an academic opens up they (the shop) pretty much knows I'll be in the class to gain the knowledge that will allow me to pursue that type of dive.My current goal is to reach the level of PADI Master Scuba Diver, 5 completed specialties, the Rescue class, ALL the dives associated with each class + dives away from school for a total of 50 dives.I see the path as not only becoming a well rounded & better diver myself but also a better dive buddy, able to handle any situation that may present itself.I'm into wrecks and as luck would have it, my Instructor(s) and the DM's at the shop are as well and they know that any wreck charter that comes up, I'll be on the boat.Nothing like an hr boat ride alongside divers with 5 or 10+ years of diving experience answering whatever questions pop into my head.What I prefer to do is take the classes and get the instruction and do the supervised dives with professionals learning proven methods so I'm not out on my own creating bad habits.I don't mind giving them my money, in exchange, I get their knowledge, it's a fair trade not to mention it's a family in there and they've pulled me in as one of their own, it's that kind of atmosphere.Having said all that, everyone put the 2nd stage in, take a big ol breath of 32% go down into the silence and chill out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom