L Street - Night Dive 10/10/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Night Dive - High Tide was 9:54pm - Not a soul in the parking lot - got in at 8:51pm and out at 10:34pm - very calm waters.
Avg depth 12 feet - water was 63 degrees - took the GoPro but made a mistake - thought I was taking video - turns out I have over 9000 photos...:rofl3:
So here are some photos - that should have been videos...

G0050542.jpgG0161032.jpgG0191145.jpgG0241276.jpgG0321534.jpgG0351648.jpgG0351690.jpg

Actually it is squid - aka Calamari... I have a shot of a small school of them (photo does not do it justice) - about 50 or more really cool - all you could see were a hundred eyes or more looking back at you... Not a good shot but this gives you the idea.

G0110820.jpg

The long one I believe is a Spottail Needlefish...

Actually it is squid - aka Calamari... I have a shot of a small school of them (photo does not do it justice) - about 50 or more really cool - all you could see were a hundred eyes or more looking back at you... Not a good shot but this gives you the idea.

View attachment 195065

The long one I believe is a Spottail Needlefish...

The long thin fish is a Cornet Fish (Fistularia sp). That very long caudal filament is a dead giveaway. Closely related to Trumpet Fish. They are a tropical fish, a Gulf Stream stray. There were a lot of them up here this year, more than usual. Needlefish are found almost always on the surface, and have a different body profile.

The color of the squid suggests it's very annoyed.

Thank you - I think I annoyed a lot of squid that night - they were all red in color up close - :D - a shy creature...

Would you happen to know this one? Looked like a shrimp type creature very translucent - again photography is not my strong suit - hence the reason I thought I was videoing...

G0140937.jpg

Either a Shore Shrimp or a Sand Shrimp. Hard to tell because the head is not clear. I think a Sand shrimp, also known as a 7 Spined Shrimp, Crangon septemspinosa.

After looking at some Sand Shrimp photos - I love google for things like this - I agree. Good call - I don't remember seeing any before in this location - but I was on tear that night - lots of life that night and lots of fun.
Thanks

where was my invite:idk:

where was my invite:idk:

Lol - it is coming up... Night dives here are the best time when the critters come out - day time is good too but you see more at night.
Tides are not favorable yet for night dives - could do an afternoon dive this weekend... It looks like Thurs 10/24 8pm High Tide or Friday 10/25 8:37pm may be better - driving down with the traffic takes extra time - I have been trying to get in the water an hour before high tide if possible.
Let me know - we can do a meet up...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom