Dutch Springs July 9/10/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to make a trip to Dutch Springs the weekend of July 9-11 to finally make my first dive with one of the full members. I've never been to Dutch Springs and wanted to know if there were any other camp grounds around the area other than camping right at Dutch Springs. My wife and I would prefer to have an open fire and have a couple drinks if we choose and I read that the Dutch Springs camping facility allows neither. Could someone please let me know if there are others in the area that are nice and also if anyone is interested that weekend.

Thanks

Daryl

Hi Daryl I am sure some wreckers will be at dutch that weekend. They are there every weekend. I cant say yet if I will be but I'm sure I will at least a day. I know DS does not allow open fires, cold ones I am not sure about. Nor do I know of any campgrounds in the area that I can recomend. Only cause I never looked before.

There is a KOA close by to Dutch springs. It is really nice but my wife isn't coming with me now so am wondering if anyone else is camping and if I'm going to miss out on any fun nighttime activities. I am just now working on my advanced so can't do the night dives. I will be in a red jeep cherokee if anyone is interested in diving with me.

darylm74:
I am looking to make a trip to Dutch Springs the weekend of July 9-11 to finally make my first dive with one of the full members. I've never been to Dutch Springs and wanted to know if there were any other camp grounds around the area other than camping right at Dutch Springs. My wife and I would prefer to have an open fire and have a couple drinks if we choose and I read that the Dutch Springs camping facility allows neither. Could someone please let me know if there are others in the area that are nice and also if anyone is interested that weekend.

Thanks

Daryl
I saw people building big-ish fires inside a grill. As long as you keep it above the ground, I don't think they have a problem with it.
As for a "few cold drinks," decant into those big plastic cups inside your tent/camper.. who's to know.

A few of us are taking a DIR-F class with Bob Sherwood that weekend. Some of us are staying at a hotel, but 3 of us are camping at the Evergreen Lake Campground in Bath...

-Frank

I may drop in, depending on professional obligations, that weekend. How do I identify the Wreckers?

I am a "sub-wrecker" right now. I still haven't been diving with the "guys" yet. I am thinking I may hit the Evergreen with scuba-punk and the gang. I like to backpack/camp to so want to hang out in the wilderness. I will be in a red jeep cherokee (standard one, not a grand cherokee) with factory sideboards (not seen too often). I want to learn more about DIR if scuba-punk and the gang will fill me in. I have a North Face backpack tent I was going to bring but I have an 8 person family tent if others want to join in. Just let me know. BYOSB (bring your on sleeping bag) and air mattress / cot for that matter. I only have a backpack stove so nothing complicated so but I can do worlds of wonders on an open fire / grill.

Geddes:
I may drop in, depending on professional obligations, that weekend. How do I identify the Wreckers?

Look for the short bus, :eyebrow: j/k I cound't help that one

Change of plans... We're actually going to be camping at Dutch now. Like Sylvester said, look for the short bus. Solar Yellow 2000 Nissan Xterra with a dive plate up front, a safari basket on top and various Lancaster Scuba Center, Nitro-Fish and Puerto Rican flag stickers on the back window. Usually Bob Sherwood sets up on the peninsula, so feel free to evesdrop from the treeline :) We'll be there Saturday and Sunday doing the dives for our class, but the rest of the time we'll be elsewhere doing the classroom and pool parts. PM me for details. If you want to go diving at BSC (which might be closer for you) sometime, let me know. I think that I recently got upgraded to a Diving Member in spite of the charcoal fiasco at Fuller Lake. That's OK though, I have a propane torch I can bring next time - lighter fluid is for children and grandmothers :)

-Frank

Do you have to make reservations to camp at Dutch Springs? Also how are you guys cooking? Someone bringing a grill or have a camping stove? I am just going to bring my little backpack stove. I'll be leaving Pittsburgh early Friday morning so hope to get a dive in Friday afternoon. I'm just now starting my advanced so hope there are some divers around that are at my level.

Back
Top Bottom