More Western PA - Conneaut Lake and Lake Erie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, while I'm at it, anyone ever dive Conneaut Lake? My wife's father has a camper set-up there and so she would like to go camping there as well. From what I know the lake is smooth and clear if you dive earlier in the morning. I also will have my drysuit training done next week so I was also thinking of a Lake Erie trip soon. There are some campgrounds around there as well that my wife has wanted to stay at and thought it'd be a great place to do some wreck diving.

If you can't tell my wife and I like to camp but I need to do more than sit around a campfire......I need to dive :crafty:

i was also looking into diving conneaut lake, as i too have a place up there.. im actually planning on diving it this upcoming week mon-wed. if your going to be up there give me a holler and well take the boat out. ive never been under conneaut yet, so the first couple tanks are going to be exploratory trying to find some wrecks!

I go to school in Meadville, like 20 minutes from Conneaut, and have been looking for people to dive with. If you ever need a buddy in the area let me know. I'll be back out there around the 19th and am willing to dive any time.

sounds good, ill keep ya in mind as i try to frequent up there as much as possible on my days off. only downfall is theres no scuba shops around the lake! :(

Keep me in mind, too. Leading into my busy time at work but looking for some 'local' buddies.

Paula
(Clarion, PA)

ill keep you guys posted for sure. leaving tomorrow noon time to head up. diving on tuesday and wed. 2 tanks each day. will let ya know what i find. try to get a few pics or videos if i find anything worth while under there!

alright guys, so i just got back from diving conneaut. first dive was on tuesday noonish time. took the boat out, random spot in the middle of the lake, dropped anchor. did my boat entrance, went down the anchor line. from surface to -20ft i had real bad vis about 0-5ft. got down to the anchor at 44ft and had 0ft of visibility. had my flash light and strobe... still could see nothing, using my 750 lumen UK LED light. so i aborted the dive.

went back to the dock, did about a 30min shore dive in shallow waters with about 5ft of vis.

the next day i went to a different location (the sand bar) anchored there and did a shallow dive. vis was greater that day, id say about 5-10ft. in shallow water <10ft.

did that for about 45 mins, and on the way back i decided to drop anchor one more time in a different location in the middle of the lake. so i go in, go down the anchor line. surface temps were 77, hit 2 thermoclines going don to 45ft. bottom temps were 54! but the vis was significantly greater with my light... id say about 20-30ft. and the lake floor was completely flat from everything i saw, no sea-weed, no dips or valleys.

that being said, im still open to explore to conneaut, its all trial and error at this point.

i did not find any wrecks or barely any fish what so ever. just shallow water fish in sea-weed. i did manage to find a full set of car keys and the remote. lol.

so if you guys would want to do some trial and error searching with me, im up for it still, just remember to play it safe, especially with the amount of sea-weed in this lake

Last edited:
I'd definitely still be interested in checking it out. I don't get many opportunities to dive out at school so any dive for me is exciting. Let me know if you're going out again, I plan to be back in the area for the year next Friday.

im sure we can work something out! just send me a PM once u get up to school and situated

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom