Dutch Springs Current Water Temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Can anyone help me out with current water temps, Surface and Thermoclines at Dutch Springs?

I have a trip planned for this coming weekend.

thank you in advance

Mike

On the 25/26 of Sept, it was about 62* until first thermocline at 41ish feet where it dropped to 58* or so down to 68ish feet where it dropped to lower 50s. If I'm a little off, maybe someone else can help...

According to my computer, it was 78* on the surface, 70* at 52', 60* at 60' and 52* at 84'. I think my computer takes a little bit of time to adjust to the temperatures. Also, I think the Silver Comet feels colder than other areas that are 55' deep. These temps were from a dive that started around noon on 9/25.

anyone else can back up to both of their reports of temperature?

I am thinking of going to dutch springs the upcoming weekend, and concerned about the temperature since i will be using a 7mm 2pc wetsuit...

I have been diving Candlewood lake in Connecticut every week for months now in a 6mm 2 peice and have been fine so far. I will also be at Dutch this comming weekend with a bunch of OW and AOW students and dont think the water temp will be much of an issue.

Jason

Dave in PA:
According to my computer, it was 78* on the surface, 70* at 52', 60* at 60' and 52* at 84'. I think my computer takes a little bit of time to adjust to the temperatures. Also, I think the Silver Comet feels colder than other areas that are 55' deep. These temps were from a dive that started around noon on 9/25.

My numbers were similar diving on Sunday 9/26.
Surface = 74F
20FT = 67F
40FT = 64F
60FT = 57F

This was with a Versa Pro... and yes it does lag... takes almost 3 to 4 minutes at a constant depth to settle down.

I would highly suggest using a bibbed hood....and squish it down on your forehead as close to your mask as you can :) Otherwise, it feels like an ice cream headache at depth. My computer is a VT Pro....btw

Thanks to all for your responses.

Our local watering hole, Mount Storm is a heated lake, used for cooling water for a Coal Fired Power Plant. Last sunday a pretty even 83 degrees, do not really hit any thermoclines till about 110 feet. Been diving 3 mil, do our surface intervals in the water, cause it is warmer than the outside air.

The down side is less than 5 feet of vis. Was at Dutch for the first time a few weeks ago and really enjoyed the Vis.

Mike

WVMike - I live in clarksburg, west virginia. where's Mt.Storm?

I currently am in rochester, ny for college...

Vis vs temp.... Vis vs temp...

I'm comfortable in Dutch down to about 60F in a 7/5mm wetsuit.. when we went below 50ft and the temp dropped to 56F.. down right chilly. Yeah.. ice cream headache. Also felt fatigued after doing that too. Will stay above 50ft for the time being.... please Santa... I want a dry suit for Xmas!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom